Cars that look like other cars, but aren't [game]

Currently reading:
Cars that look like other cars, but aren't [game]

The one on the pics is the only one alive...

There's another puzzle - what is it an what does it immitate?
14.jpg

an old merc SL i think it is?
it actually looks a bit like a few different cars., kinda like a buick in the front, im trying to think of model though.,

There's another puzzle - what is it an what does it immitate?

AFAIK Soviets loved to imitate Fords when it came to cars. I do not know about Volga 21 (the car shown on the pictures above), but a Yank I worked with some 10 years ago told me Volga 24 looked exactly like his 1967 Ford.
The first Moskvich is supposedly a copy of Opel Olympia.

correct ^^^

yup sanyong are the merc engined korean(think?) equivilents.

the actual car is the lada niva 2 not as sucesful as its niva 1, as the niva 2 does NOT go offroad anywhere near as well as the niva 1. which is a bit backwards.

however you can still buy a new niva 1 from the factory. for some $6500 for one with paint:rolleyes:

the cars it looks like/is like are
daewoo something
hyundai something
chevorellet something
something something.

really helpful I know, but I've had bit of a hard weekend and can barely remember my own name at themo.

MAESTBO.GIF

dash.jpg

Its a Austin/MG (British Leyland) Maestro Turbo,

Useless fact: it had a digital speedometer and vacuum fluorescent analogue displays for tachometer, fuel and temperature gauges, trips computer and a voice synthesis warning and information system (see above).

What is it now! (other than an awesome car)?

Time to pick peanuts out of poo :)

The maestro shown didnt have that dash, the early ones did, and the Vanden Plas but they changed it for the montego dash quite early on in production runs due to it not working.(- probably why the phot shows an Austin badge rather than MG)

My old man had the 1983 twin carb one and that had the montego dash in it, which was technically wrong, but also it was the ultimate sleeper as it wasnt badged as MG either but was the same as the original '83 MG Maestro, and this was in 1983/84!

And another useless fact- the scalloped sides were an after thought, it was meant to have flat sides! I did have better picture but i cant find it
devmaestro_02.jpg

Last edited:
correct ^^^

yup sanyong are the merc engined korean(think?) equivilents.

the cars it looks like/is like are
daewoo something

yes ssangyong are south korean and are owned by Shanghai Automotive Industry Corporation
the daewoo something is a daewoo musso aswell, daewoo bought ssangyong in 1998 and used the musso name and design to build the daewoo musso. General motors bought daewoo a couple years back but didnt want ssangyong aswell, so ssangyong were bought by SAIC and are now making cars again. im not sad, i used to work for a ssangyong dealer

theres also the newish daihatsu fourtrack is the same, and currently there is some kia thing which is the same.

basically the same niva2 is actually about 8-10 different cars ith different badges, it wouldn't sell a single unit in the UK nowadays with a lada badge, but add something far eastern to it, and they sell pretty well! like suzuki jimmneys (them new ultra narrow SJ's) saw at least 20 today, look well tidy and pretty good offroad with a few mod's and some proper tyres :cool:

Back