Grande Punto Car wont start

Currently reading:
Grande Punto Car wont start

Thank you. I guess people go above and beyond when something is rattling their head haha. Thought it would be in a better place or atleast well protected. Cant thank everyone enough on this thread for all the help. Ticking boxes is the only way forward 👍🏻👍🏻👍🏻

Unplug any connectors that may have been exposed to water and spray both parts with WD40. Leave disconnected for an hour or two to let any moisture evaporate. GT45 is not ideal on electrical contacts because it contains PTFE which is a very good insulator.

Edit. If you have used GT45 don't worry too much but WD40 is a better choice.

Robert.

Last edited:
I will give that ago. Just need to remove the relay box to get to it all. It was GT85 i used that disperses water. Will keep you posted

Crude oil products like that (WD40 etc.) are good for electrical contacts, but not so friendly to the elastomer (rubber) seals in the wiring, plugs.
You can (you should) spray some, but not soak it completely for a longer periods. Seals/gaskets will swell a lot (in extreme cases so much, that you'll not be able to put the plugs back into the sockets).

Open the fuse box and dry it (plus WD40 on/under all relays and fuses).

Sorry, I meant GT85 not 45. It's made by the same people as WD40 but is more of a lubricant than a water displacer. It contains PTFE (Teflon) which is not ideal on contacts but GT85 better than nothing.
I would no worry about WD40 or GT85 affecting plastics or elastomers under the bonnet, they should be resistant to hyrocarbons given like exposure to oil and fuel during the normal life of the vehicle.

Robert.

Thank you buddy. Makes me feel a bit better now as I was thinking I've used the wrong stuff 🤣🤣👍🏻

Thank you buddy. Makes me feel a bit better now as I was thinking I've used the wrong stuff 🤣🤣👍🏻
you could always use an ordinary hair- dryer to evaporate as much water out of the fuse box and connectors as possible! needs a bit of patience ( and not to higher heat setting) but gives you a good place to start when using the above mention sprays!

Elastomers in the electrical system and suspension are oriented towards the water based chemicals (water, salt, glycol, alcohol, washer fluid, brake fluid etc.).
Oil, fuel, grease - different types of "rubber" (and those are in the engine, gearbox obviously).
Traditional 2 groups of elastomers.

Yes, nowadays we have modern materials, that can be suitable for both "environments", but be careful.

You can clean almost any type of rubber with random chemical, solvent, whatever, but the exposure time should be minimal (seconds, minutes max.), not soaking for hours.

Elastomers in the electrical system and suspension are oriented towards the water based chemicals (water, salt, glycol, alcohol, washer fluid, brake fluid etc.).
Oil, fuel, grease - different types of "rubber" (and those are in the engine, gearbox obviously).
Traditional 2 groups of elastomers.

Yes, nowadays we have modern materials, that can be suitable for both "environments", but be careful.

You can clean almost any type of rubber with random chemical, solvent, whatever, but the exposure time should be minimal (seconds, minutes max.), not soaking for hours.
Agreed a flash exposure wont hurt but given time to"soak" the solvent can cause permanent damage to the material requiring replacement!

you could always use an ordinary hair- dryer to evaporate as much water out of the fuse box and connectors as possible! needs a bit of patience ( and not to higher heat setting) but gives you a good place to start when using the above mention sprays!
I did think that then I thought I might get my leaf blower on it 😄

In my opinion compressed air should be better than hot air, because in closed boxes / cases (ie. relays) the water won't have enough room to evaporate. It will just condense on top and then flow / fall down on the contacts.

The blinking on the dash doesn't look good :( But I can see that the immo light switched off :D

In my opinion compressed air should be better than hot air, because in closed boxes / cases (ie. relays) the water won't have enough room to evaporate. It will just condense on top and then flow / fall down on the contacts.

The blinking on the dash doesn't look good :( But I can see that the immo light switched off :D
Yes finally that awful dash light has gone. I'm charging up the battery at the minute as its pretty much dead with the constant turning of the key haha. Fingers crossed fir later. Will keep you posted

Back