500 (Classic) New to the forum and the car

Currently reading:
500 (Classic) New to the forum and the car

Marc59500

Hi everyone,

Excited to make my first post! I bought a 1959 Fiat 500 N from a local user car dealer here in Monterey, CA. It's a US-spec with the bigeye lights and a full convertible top. Not sure what the original color was, but it's now yellow with red accents.

The car had a frame up restoration about 20 years ago, so the interior, exterior and frame are exceptionally clean. The electrical and engine are TBD as I have a date with a local classic car tech who is going to help me understand what it needs. This is my first time with a classic car - I love to tinker with things and have had a bunch of hobbies revolving around repair and restoration. This is my first adventure with a car, tho. Excited to learn and grow and most importantly, enjoy the car!

Excited to learn from you all and get my car running reliably. Very different world as my daily driver is an EV.

Thanks,
Marc

likewise welcome! hopefully the condition of your car 😁 will save you from a few of the "headaches":rolleyes: involved with running classics!;) always wondered how small underpowered cars are treated out your way? your sure to have some storys to tell us sometime in the future!(y)

likewise welcome! hopefully the condition of your car 😁 will save you from a few of the "headaches":rolleyes: involved with running classics!;) always wondered how small underpowered cars are treated out your way? your sure to have some storys to tell us sometime in the future!(y)
May I add to the other members when I say "welcome to the Forum". A 500N in good nick---well done for finding that. The 'N' engine, at only 479cc is different in quite a number of small, but important, design features. I would suggest that you try and find an ORIGINAL workshop manual---they are still around, but you may have to let your fingers do quite a lot of 'electronic walking'. We are here to help, so feel free to ask for it.

Here is a picture of the car!
Next up is mechanical reliability. Body and interior are in great/restored shape.

IMG_1601.jpeg

being a 58 does it have the little flap either side of the dash (underneath) to allow air flow from the front grills....
hub caps should be alloy not chrome...
Should have the big ugly US bympers with overiders to stop you hurting people when you run them over

has a very early interior mirror...
Is the rear floor flat or does it have footwells...
is the front badge 3 seperate peices and the moustaches alloy?

(just being picky for when you want tio know about originality)

bumpers are not, US spec are like this...
1702657856223.png

Also is there a heat exchanger on the rear exhaust pipe - also US only Spec

both headlights and bumpers were to comply with US regulations

Also post a pic of the rear lights as early US rear lights were also different..

Last edited:
I stand corrected - as I am not a purist collector, this is fine. I just want the car to run well and provide happiness for us. Here is the rear:

Screenshot 2023-12-15 at 10.37.58 AM.png

yep nice US spec rear lights... if you see any spare ones or lenses cheap buy them, no one remakes them....
so if you ever need one it will be hard to find...

I have a US Spec car... and a couple of friends in Italy have them....

I stand corrected - as I am not a purist collector, this is fine. I just want the car to run well and provide happiness for us. Here is the rear:

View attachment 434779
Somebody has put a non-standatd exhaust on the car-----may I suggest that you check the engine number. If it is a '479cc' engine, it will start 110.000

Somebody has put a non-standatd exhaust on the car-----may I suggest that you check the engine number. If it is a '479cc' engine, it will start 110.000
It is 110.0004, so, 479cc. Just dropped it off at a proper classic mechanic who will get it sorted out. I couldn't get it started today, so on a flatbed truck it went.

Totally agree----they are meant to be driven and enjoyed. It was just a 'curiosity' question.
Yup, and once it's working properly, I will be able to enjoy it more.

Question for the group - did it ship with any sideview mirrors? If not, any recommendation for at least a drivers side one? It's a little strange not to have any mirrors...

Hi look in the 500" classic" section of the forums! there is at least one picture of a left hand drive spec car with a drivers side mirror fitted! might give you some idea of what was available! and still might be!? (y).
Also an E-BAY search under " fiat 500 classic" -"mirrors" might throw up some options for you to think about!.

Yup, and once it's working properly, I will be able to enjoy it more.

Question for the group - did it ship with any sideview mirrors? If not, any recommendation for at least a drivers side one? It's a little strange not to have any mirrors...
UK models certainly didn't have any mirrors. In era, many people fitted them to the front of the fender (I saw your flag :) ) current fashion seems to be clipped on to the door. I prefer the appearance without them and TBH, I'm rarely overtaking anyone and I know to expect that if I have anyone behind me they are at least going to try to get past me. ;)....mirrors relatively superfluous.

500s came with as few acessories as possible, Ns were cheap city run abouts...
but there was a flourishing market for aftermarket bits, obviously mrrors, but different wheel trims, sun shades bonnet locks...

Last edited:
Back