Technical Car Problem Diagnosed by Fiat Dealer - Can't be Right!

Currently reading:
Technical Car Problem Diagnosed by Fiat Dealer - Can't be Right!

Hi Guys, Haven't been here for ages after my 1.6GT project. I have a Stilo 1.8 converted to LPG. I've had a cutting off problem ever since I bought this car and low MPG about 16mpg on petrol. The car would idle really bad (about 500 rpm) and sometimes drop down and cut off with messages low oil pressure.

Changed MAF but no difference. I sent it to fiat to get a full diagnostic . After a few hours they apparently found the problem. The variaror needs to be replaced! Asking for £800 incl vat for parts and labour. Without the water pump done while the belts off.

Now I find it very strange why the variator would make the car cut off. And why doesn't it do it when the engines cold. Looks to me that it has nothing to do with it.

Has anyone got any experience with it?

Btw: The cutting off problem was here before the LPG conversion was done.

But It wouldn't cause it to cut off, might be the reason why it is running rich. It would have picked it up on the diagnostic

Have a read of this, might save you £800 .. (y)
(The solenoid has a permanent 12v on one of the pins it but the other pin is only grounded by the ECU when the variator is to be actuated. This means that you can test the solenoid by grounding one of the terminals with the engine running, briefly touch a wire between the chassis and the solder on the cap that is supposed to be grounded by the ECU, the engine should almost stall)
https://www.fiatforum.com/stilo/281663-variator-test-went-wrong-help.html

New original Fiat Variator £100
http://www.shop4parts.co.uk/?name=store&op=Details&ProdID=641&sku=2301

Last edited:
re: Oil Pressure Warning Fiat Stilo 1.8 16v

I had fuel malfunction bank 1 .

The car doesn't stall when its cold. Weird...

Did the throttle cleaning plus replaced the Maf sensor. Was good for a few days then the problem came back.

re: Oil Pressure Warning Fiat Stilo 1.8 16v

screenshot_2012-10-21_1412.png

Making me think it has nothing to do with the variator

Ok guys im reporting back, followed to my problem I had, changed to variator, the car idles better, but still cuts off sometimes (not as often anymore) but still does. and I am only getting 14MPG Helppppppp! Lol

Error Messages, Fuel Bank 1 Malfunction P0173 hmmm, Could it be a fuel pump?

+ My Rear bulb keeps blowing. FIATs! :bang:

Hi,

Have you cleaned the throttle body before? It's really important for us to understand how the car cuts off. If it's cutting off only when you press the clutch and the car goes from being reved to idle than this points out to the throttle body needing cleaning.

The low oil pressure is what you get when the pump is not working. As the pump is driven by the engine and the engine is not moving, you can understand why the car gives the message. It is the same message that I was getting before cleaning the throttle body.

Both my 1.8s suffered from the same issue, it would be really bad. Idle at 500 RPM, each time I pressed the clutch the revs would go down and the engine would die on me. The throttle body was so badly clogged on one of them that after cleaning it, the normal idle would be 2200 RPM so I had to do a throttle relearn just to get it working properly.

What I would do is.:

1. warm up the engine till the temperature gauge is in the middle.
2. stop engine, do a throttle body cleaning, you can find the guide to do so here: Inlet Control Valve Cleaning
3. Do a throttle relearn procedure, like this:
- stop engine, wait for 1 minute, put key to engine check (lights on, engine check but do not start engine)
- key back to the position where you would normally remove it, wait for one minute, put back to engine check.
- Key back to the position where you would normally remove it, wait for one minute, put back to engine check, then back to 0.
- Engine check - Start engine.

Problem solved?

Yes - Good job, have yourself a nice warm cup of tea
NO - Remove battery for 5 minutes, put back, and repeat the throttle relearn procedure.

This should solve your issue with the bad idle, if you haven't done so.

Now, the MPG. Where do you drive it? What is your average speed? I get the same MPG when my average speed is 4-10 km/h, example going to work on a busy traffic day in Bucharest. Please give us more info on this issue.

I do not unfortunately know what Fuel Bank1 Malfunction P0173 means, we have a lot of very good people here that I'm sure will come around and let us know.

What rear bulb blows? Brake? Position lights, signal? :)

I must say I love my FIAT and NEVER had any issues with it. Of course, there are some stuff that need to be done, like the ones I explained above, but this happens to any car on the road. Unfortunately FIAT will always want to change something, they never really care about cleaning anything. I went for a service to FIAT and they wanted to change half a car, including starter motor, wipers, etc. They said the car would fail soon on the starter motor, look at me 2 years later writing this post, 15000 miles done, most of them short rides to work and back, not having any issues with the car. :)

Cheers. (y)

Last edited:
P0173 Fuel Trim Malfunction (Bank 2)

to give you a little bit more info have a read of HERE

its basically saying that your post cat lambda is trying to trim the fuel UP to avoid lean running. the thing with it is its basically saying it cant trim the fuel up any more ie its turned the taps right open and it still needs more! if you dont have any vac issues etc etc and youve changed the MAP sensor you will need to start scrutinising the post cat lambda. look for trace behaviour when cold and throughout its warm up until its at operating temp. run some fuel system cleaner through it such as X1R or Redex etc and see how you get on, sounds to me like you will be needing to put a new lambda in her though. how many miles has she done?

Sorry guys for the late reply, thanks for the replys.

The car cuts off when i press the clutch down and the rev will go really low. when the engine is nice and warm , and start the engine it will start and stall, I have to do it about 5 times and keep revving it.

I have cleaned the throttle body and got a new maf sensor.

So the lambda sensor sounds is needs replacing? she's done 75K so far. been well looked after (im the 2nd owner).

Is the lambda sensor before or after the cat?

Re: Oil Pressure Warning Fiat Stilo 1.8 16v

Think you may need a different code reader. Bank 2 only applies to "V" engines which the Stilo doesn't have.

Like Richy says, due to the error code I'm sure BANK 1 and BANK 2 refer to the Pre and Post Lambda sensors, BANK 2 being the Post Lambda as that is where the problem is being detected(a lean mixture detected by the post(possibly faulty) lambda ..

Last edited:

Due to the error code I'm sure BANK 1 and BANK 2 refer to the Pre and Post Lambda sensors, BANK 2 being the Post Lambda as that is where the problem is being detected(a lean mixture detected by the post lambda) ..

Well, it's just bank 1 NOT bank 2

Last edited:
Someone said stilos do not have bank 2 so I thought it was just a mistake from the program I was using.

So I guess it is possible, it is trues, that would explain the 14MPG.
Do I have to take the sensor out the test it?

How about fiat Ecu software. would that detect it?
I have built a computer inside the car, and it is connected to the obd port, should give it a try.

Someone said stilos do not have bank 2 so I thought it was just a mistake from the program I was using.

So I guess it is possible, it is trues, that would explain the 14MPG.
Do I have to take the sensor out the test it?

How about fiat Ecu software. would that detect it?
I have built a computer inside the car, and it is connected to the obd port, should give it a try.

Deffinately give MultiECUScan(name has been changed from FiatECUScan) a try, brilliant bit of software.

The 1.8 Stilo(2002 onwards) has pre and post lambda sensors ..

Lambda testing
http://ngkntk.co.uk/index.php/technical-centre/lambda-sensors/how-to-test-lambda-sensors

Last edited:

Like Richy says, due to the error code I'm sure BANK 1 and BANK 2 refer to the Pre and Post Lambda sensors, BANK 2 being the Post Lambda as that is where the problem is being detected(a lean mixture detected by the post(possibly faulty) lambda ..

I always understood that pre and post cat. Lambda sensors were referred to as Sensor 1 and Sensor 2 in fault code descriptions, and Bank 1 and Bank 2 referred to each side of a "V" engine, as with these generic examples:

P0130 O2 Sensor Circuit Malfunction (Bank 1 Sensor 1)
P0136 O2 Sensor Circuit Malfunction (Bank 1 Sensor 2)
P0150 O2 Sensor Circuit Malfunction (Bank 2 Sensor 1)
P0156 O2 Sensor Circuit Malfunction (Bank 2 Sensor 2)

Does the 1.8 engine have a dual manicat?...... That would require 2 pre and 2 post cat. Lambda sensors. Perhaps they are referred to as Bank 1 and Bank 2 for the 1.8 engine.

Back