Tuning Canterbury 695

Currently reading:
Tuning Canterbury 695

Big day tomorrow.......heart transplant day!!!
weather is good, power train is ready....am I??

As a distraction a high power LED headlamp conversion set turned up in the post...will be invisible from the outside but give great hyper illumination for my pocket rocket...will post some comparisions of p45 vs high power LED when the car has power through its new loom

Great lunchtime at the Italian car show - saw some wonderful 500's

Managed to complete the base install of my heart transplant.....all went well

Apparently I will need a gearbox support bracket because of the increased forces at work - any opinions / experience of these

Attachments

• IMG_6561.JPG
    IMG_6561.JPG
    3.8 MB · Views: 36
  • IMG_6562.JPG
    IMG_6562.JPG
    3.7 MB · Views: 48
  • IMG_6560.JPG
    IMG_6560.JPG
    3.3 MB · Views: 32
It is fitted like the one in the picture.

You`ll need to drill couple of holes in your gearbox support bracket or use a 126 one and drill a hole in the tunnel.
It also improves the gear change as there is less movement of the whole engine and gearbox backwards and forwards.
If you need a stabiliser bar for the engine you could use something similar to ones fitted to Fiat 850s.

many thanks...hopefully get more of my car together over the next few days..;)

Whilst connecting all services noticed that starter cable doesn't reach...its moved from 12 o'clock to nine o'clock......tried to undo the bracket holding the blessed thing and its a tiny 7mm thing I cannot reach in the now full transmission tunnel.
Can I re-route the existing 500 one or do I need a 126 cable??

Whilst connecting all services noticed that starter cable doesn't reach...its moved from 12 o'clock to nine o'clock......tried to undo the bracket holding the blessed thing and its a tiny 7mm thing I cannot reach in the now full transmission tunnel.
Can I re-route the existing 500 one or do I need a 126 cable??

I routed the existing one on the outside of the tunnel and above the rear swing arm. This then reached perfectly.

cheers, Steve

Help please
I have connected gear linkage and cannot select any gears
Gear selector into gearbox doesn't appear to move to and fro

Struggling like a trooper and this must be resolvable without pull it out......please

Help please
I have connected gear linkage and cannot select any gears
Gear selector into gearbox doesn't appear to move to and fro

Struggling like a trooper and this must be resolvable without pull it out......please
You may have already done this, but I would try selecting gears by using a screwdriver in the hole at the gearbox end. If by twisting pulling, pushing it's not budging (it needs more force than you'd expect), then I'd pull the box and at minimum remove the top plate to see what's going on.

But as you know, I'm no expert, just basing this on my fun & games with the faulty new linkage, so hopefully someone has an easier suggestion ;) ;)

cheers, Steve

On the assumption that you did test it in the way Steve describes, before it was fitted and so know it can be free, I would push the car forwards and backwards a little then try again.
You could turn the engine over a little and then try the gears, or even gently tap the selector shaft in with a rubber hammer if it appears to be in the "out" position.
There's also the two setscrews on the side of the tunnel inside the car which allow the gear lever mechanism to move fore and aft, but I don't think that's the problem.

I didn't test it...... I know I know
It was supplied by Club126 and I felt sure that they know their stuff
I didn't have a selector spare so just hooked it on
The selector shaft just won't move and the Huns are locked up.....I'm sure it's just stuck in gear.....

I had a similar problem before when my g.box got stuck in second gear. When I selected second it was really difficult to get it out again. Never got to the bottom of the problem as I just swapped it for a different one.
Before you take the box out, it might be worth taking the back cover off and checking the selector fork shaft sits in there properly.
Check this post.
http://club126uk.co.uk/smf/index.php?topic=9783.0

If you get completely stuck, just give me a shout as I should have a good spare gearbox.

BTW that seller you bought the g.box from doesn`t have anything to do with the 126club, at least not the UK one.

Last edited:
I would jack up the backend stick it on axle stands and start it up. If it is in gear it won't wreck anything it will just start up with the wheels spinning. It should hopefully just give it that little impetuous to knock it into a position where you can change gears ok.

I have bench tested engines with them in gear because I haven't had the leverage from the gear stick selector shaft to find neutral before I started. They have started and run just fine with the drive shafts spinning.

I have noticed on the 500 before that although it is in neutral it has reached a point where the starter motor doesn't fully engage with the flywheel and you just have to give it a little spin with it in gear to line the starter motor gear up with the flywheel.

Tony

Last edited:
I would jack up the backend stick it on axle stands and start it up. If it is in gear it won't wreck anything it will just start up with the wheels spinning. It should hopefully just give it that little impetuous to knock it into a position where you can change gears ok.

I have bench tested engines with them in gear because I haven't had the leverage from the gear stick selector shaft to find neutral before I started. They have started and run just fine with the drive shafts spinning.

Or when up on axle stands, just start it with the clutch engaged and then gently feed drive in. :)

many thanks to all for the advice...I will start with giving the linkage a tweak, then release the side panel to loosen the balls restricting the shafts movement - before dropping it down on the floor and shunting it backwards and forwards only after this will I draining it to remove the end section where the selector rods are available for some convincing....is that a start? I haven't started it up in situ so these are easier oppotunities right now. If no success start it up - gulp....
Funnily enough the vendor is "unavailable"
Its a right shame as the beast is nearly finished...

Hi I return to you guys after my health problems. I have pulled the power train today and have a professional built five speeder to put in.....should be running this week!

Back