Technical 500 cc /695 cc How can you tell apart

Currently reading:
Technical 500 cc /695 cc How can you tell apart

phoenix1

Hi .I have a fiat 500 L bought in bits and I am not sure if the engine is from a 126 or a 500..
Also what is the hand throttle used for and was the center dash switch always fitted
to a 1972 L
Thanks I am sure I will have more questions as I get further on.(y)

For the engine it would help if you got the number and type which is stamped on the block behind the rear mounting. It might be oiled up but easy to see.
The hand throttle is needed in the couple of minutes after starting from cold if either if you aren't driving off straight away or have a bit of stop/start traffic ahead. Otherwise the engine can be prone to stalling.
I'm pretty sure that UK spec. cars of that later era had the dashboard ignition hole blanked off. Others will know for certain.
Photos always welcome.:)

Great the engine number starts FSM126 so I assume it is the larger of the two engines.
It is also fitted I now notice with an alternator,so I will have to change some of the wiring.If anyone can point me in the right direction I would be grateful.
Now my next problem is how if you can identify a syncro box from a non syncro .

Thanks

Hi Phoenix

Here's a wiring diagram for converting to an alternator, courtesy of a very nice chap called Brian Rylance. And a picture of my 600 Engine and 126 Gearbox which shows the starter at the 10 o'clock position which differs from the non syncro box (housing that is), which has the starter at 12 o'clock. Also the drive shafts are slightly shorter too on the 126.

Hope this helps
Cheers
Hugh Jarce (y)

Attachments

• FIAT Image018.jpg
    FIAT Image018.jpg
    317.6 KB · Views: 36
  • Wiring 500 with alternator ex 126.pdf
    267.5 KB · Views: 61
Tony will know, but that sounds like one of those very late engines...maybe no distributor fitted would be a giveaway. You don't necessarily need to change to a dynamo.
Synchromesh is likely on that gearbox and is easy to check if driveable...changing gears will be relatively normal. Again the box will be embossed with a giveaway number.

Hi just checked gearbox and starter is at the top .So I presume non syncro.
Thanks for that.and the wiring diagram.I will alter the loom whilst out of the car.
The battery cable will be long enough as I always fit a cut out switch to save charge.
I have four cars on the road at the moment so they may be stood for awhile

Hi Phoenix1

Have a look at this tech tip, again from Brian Rylance. It takes you inside the gearbox to ID it. Peter is quite correct the housing is interchangeable, thus following this tech tip should help? Its focus is the first gear issues that can prevail but it gives some detail on identifying what you are working with.

Cheers
Hugh Jarce :idea:

Attachments

• 1st Gear Gearbox check.pdf
    214 KB · Views: 56
Back