General How much gtinding have you done?

Currently reading:
General How much gtinding have you done?

As I get more tidied-up in the garage I didcovered just how many angle-grinders have gone to the grave since I started restoring cars.

20231213_141329.jpg

Serious money in those
In the old days, the first few grinders I had were very expensive but one of them only lasted weeks.
When I got to the the fourth grinder I took out additional, cheap Argos insurance so obviously, the thing went on for three years.
The one I have now is at least seven years old, cost less than £30 from Toolstation and has helped me to restore a campervan and re-restore half of the 500. I had so many cuts in the power-cord that I feared getting electrocuted. But despite sometimes working in the rain and mostly in a damp garage, that never happened. Recently, seeing the cord gradually taking on a copper colour! I did fit a new one, having to break the tamper-proof tabs first; Sod's Law, it will break down next week and I'll have to get a new wrench for the collection.

Only use the spanner to take the disc/flap wheel off. As I lock them on with my hand. I switch the fuc&er off first. Or I would have as many fingers as Spanners in this shot!!!!!!!!

I have had only three grinders since my drill based attachment for my Wolf drill exploded under my 1965 (HMP895C) or 'humps' as me and my brother called it😁Humber Sceptre in 1984.

The first real grinder I purchased (A Beale) didn't even last a year, it also began to run slow and smoked quite a bit before its demise (ended up smoking sixty fags a day) it's replacement lasted almost six years (replaced the motor and brushes) at least four times. It was a 120v one. The second was a Matika it lasted for the best part of nearly thirty years (I too am guilty of cutting through quite a few power cables from it).

Now I have a DeWalt Grinder and it's been abused too. Cutting up, cutting into all types of metal, grinding, cleaning welds. Even cut into quite a few of those shi77y safes you buy for £25 - £40. As they're quite thin at the back.

Last edited:
More to the point , how much grinding dust have you ingested?:(
Probably more than is healthy. But despite the difficulties that I experience when I wear a dust-mask in combination with a face-shield and ear-defenders, I always do so.

Incidentally, Home Bargains were selling boxes of 16 x PP3 (just for dust) masks last weekend for £1....I bought two boxes. They are a low spec and very disposable, but ideal for grinding work.

Last edited:
I have several corded Makita grinders which have stood the test of time also.
As an apprentice in the early 1970s I can recall getting a mild shock from the metal casings of power tools in damp workshops, most are double insulated today and don't even use an earth wire.
Cordless tool battery strength is great these days , but I got put off them by poor batteries in the beginning, so most of my tools are corded.

I still have the Wolf 120v drill and my Matika 120v drill is still looks new in its case. The transformer is surprisingly bashed (in some eyes unsafe!!!!) .

But 120v only gives you a tickle, but like most corded power tools they are only as unsafe as you let them get. The 120v transformer does have two standard 220v single house sockets on it. When you need more lighting, and connected oommmppppffff and triple the torque.

But since upgrading my power 220v electrical power mains box and having newer fuse free. It doesn't like my old 120v trannie, as I have to unplug it sometimes and wait for it to cool down before continuing. But then sometimes I plug it in cold and it switches my power off

AHH you only die once.

Back