Technical Can anyone tell me how to remove a rear drive shaft on 4x4?

Currently reading:
Technical Can anyone tell me how to remove a rear drive shaft on 4x4?

I noticed over the weekend that my 130k miles 4x4 was starting to weep a little gearbox oil from the driveshaft oil seal on the rear diff (I check under the car most weekends for tell-tale signs of anything breaking - this is a new leak that's started in the past couple of days).

With the front driveshafts, you'd release the lower ball joint to allow the hub to swing clear of the end of the shaft after removing the securing central nut. Can't see how this can be done at the rear. New seal is a fiver - but don't want to shell out hundreds to get it done :) (I might just have to adopt a policy of frequent top-ups of the diff -- the fill plug is level with the bottom of the shaft, so I think it's only the 'splash' when in motion that will leak out)

Thanks in advance

Pete

Hmm, looking at this
http://eper.fiatforum.com/eper/navi...INT_MODE=0&EPER_CAT=SP&GUI_LANG=3&WINDOW_ID=1

I'd say the disc off, hub nut and hub off (2). You may need a puller to pull the hub off the splines.
Remove the disc cover.
Undo the bearing support (1) from the hub carrier arm and I reckon the bearing and shaft will knock out of the diff through the hole in the hub carrier arm.

Flick the old seal out and carefully drive the new in (the right way around!), you can use a large socket over the edge of the new seal, but be careful of the seal lip, especially when knocking the shaft back into the diff.

Back