Technical 4x4 rear diff

Currently reading:
Technical 4x4 rear diff

Miars

what kind of noise level is acceptable for a rear diff? I have no whine or rumble it just seems noisy.

If not whining or rumbling, what sort of noise is it? Very difficult to advise about noises on any forum, even videos do not present well.
With a 4x4, there are lots that can make noise.
Prop centre bearing, and its joints at each end.
If the tyres across an axle are not matched, that can cause the diff to be churning all the time. Tyres can be noisy, especially if chunky ones, and wheel bearing noise can transmit along drive shafts.
Rear diff mounts seem to be a failure point occasionally, and when failing will transmit noises that otherwise might be normal.
Everything needs to be poked, prodded, twisted and shoved to identify any wear or other issues.

Oil level might be a place to start.

Sorry you have no replies yet

I was hoping some 4x4 users would have seen this by now

@porta might know
Must have missed it, been a bit ‘preoccupied’
Are you sure it’s the dif, I’ve never experienced a rumble from there, I have done one rear wheel bearing and centre bearing and some drop links but, having done 150k in the panda climbing, 70k on the diesel cross I’ve not had any diff problems.
One thing I will say about the bearing is that there was absolutely no play, just noise, a definite rumble…as @portland bill says, noise can be transmitted and an empty spare wheel well can amplify that noise!

Ok got to bottom of it. It’s a rear wheel bearing so I’m now looking for a bearing complete with housing. 05 4x4.

Thanks for the eper info. Ideally I’d like to track down a replacement bearing support as I’m a bit worried the housing may break when on the press. The lugs will take all the pressure

Thanks for the eper info. Ideally I’d like to track down a replacement bearing support as I’m a bit worried the housing may break when on the press. The lugs will take all the pressure
Strange I can't seem to find any new online, maybe a telephone to the main dealer and ask for a price, after being quoted say that's more expensive than I thought I will have to think about it, save having to look the part up again can I have the part number so I can quote it when I call back

The main dealer might be cheaper than expected

You might get a different part number you can find elswhere

Of cause it could be stupidly expensive and they save the quote against your reg

But worth a shot, there's nothing to loose

Back