General Buying a 2016 500x lounge at 110000 miles is it worth it?

Currently reading:
General Buying a 2016 500x lounge at 110000 miles is it worth it?

The Americans have always been very keen on regular oil changes and when you go over there this is very evident from the number of Fast Fit type drive in garages who make a big deal of oil changes. Probably where Tommy Farmer got his idea for his stores from.
I bet you don’t get a song n dance like a kwikfit fitter

I bet you don’t get a song n dance like a kwikfit fitter
Probably not, although if you are further south, like Southern Maryland where we were a lot, those southern accents can be quite "musical".

Where my daughter lived was quite rural and I don't think they saw foreigners there very often. I was in the hardware store one day buying some service parts and a new blade boss for their lawnmower when the shop assistant called her friend over, turned to me and said "Sir, Please could you say something, Ah, jest, looove yuah accent". Some of the accents down there are so thick I really do have trouble understanding them, but it's lovely to hear.

Used car salesmen, or car salesmen in general, are quite good at the old smoke and mirrors when it comes to parting you from your money. I always do my early research and then I like to decide what I'm going to pay for a vehicle during the negotiating stage with them during which the trade in price on your old car may well be nudged up to make it look like you're getting a good deal but then they come back at you with "admin charges" and other unexpected stuff.
I will tell you now that, these day especially when buying a used car, if you want to trade something in against it, the value of your trade in car to the dealership will almost certainly be zero. The condition the age the the make model and mileage is largely irrelevant. They will claim a trade in value of ….. but generally they recoup their money by manipulating the interest rate so if they give you £500 for your trade in, the interest rate is tweaked to get you to pay £500 more. Obviously doesn’t work like that if you’re trading in a car worth say £10,000 on glasses guide but they will still massively manipulate the interest rate to make your £10k car worth more like £8k even if the car is worth £14k+ on the forecourt. This is why I would never trade a car in and why companies like we buy any car have exploded in popularity.

I have no idea if this is how things work in the USA, I am sure there is some similar fiddles taking place.

“go and speak to the manager“ is usually so they can see what they can knock money off and where they can recoup It else where.

Aye, which is why I try to get a valuation on a trade in before discussing anything else. then you hit them with the fact you want to settle the outstanding value for cash all in one go. They can try going on about admin charges etc but stick to that cash figure and they'll come across if they're hungry enough. If not, just walk.

I'd just worry about the big stuff, as long as the electrics all work.

The only "unknown" is what shape the clutch is in, so if that's been documented as replaced recently then you'll know how long they last and it's all good. If it's the original clutch, then get some money off since that's a big job, compared to, say, replacing the silencer or brakes (which are also easier to inspect in the first place).

The rest of it will be good to 180k.

Ralf S.

What's the cost new in the USA? I wouldn't pay that for a 7 year old fiat car in the UK. The price seems double what the UK valuation would be

Back