General Bumble's Bee

Currently reading:
General Bumble's Bee

Funnily enough I have my 84 year old dad staying with me and took him out in mine for the first time last week, I was a bit concerned but he had a grin on his face all the way to Sidmouth and back, just great.

Not sure if this will help, but I recently had a rattle which was only occuring on rough road surfaces or going over bumps. Thought it might be one of the heat shields. After getting underneath saw that it was rusted a bit at the bolt points, by the box. Put in bigger washers to make it secure but that didn't solve the problem. Looking again, found that a bolt was missing from one of the rear brake calipers.

Soody

ImageUploadedByFIAT Forum1440005788.731861.jpg My car has some classy company for a couple of days! Wish it was mine! S

Sent from my iPhone using FIAT Forum

Last edited:
It's been a really busy year for me and I regret not having had the car out as often as I should have. I also regret not taking the time to read the posts on here. It's refreshing to see the posts from newer owners sharing similar experiences and also great to see the support from those 'in the know'. My car is tucked away for the winter and the pair of Volvo XC70's are providing reliable safe, and somewhat boring transport for me and 'Er Indoors' throughout the remainder of the winter. I have seen some horrendous footage of flooding around the north counties on TV and I hope everyone is safe and dry! Although it is a little tardy, may I wish everyone a Happy Christmas and a trouble free 2016! Very best wishes - Steve

MOT all done! Usual advisories regarding rusty springs but they've been like that for five consecutive MOT's and inside face of rear n/s disc rusted on outer edge. I just dont do enough miles to keep them clean and I have replaced them twice in the time I've had the car. Anyway, she just needs a good wash and a polish and I might even tax her now, rather than wait until the end of the month!

Attachments

• Barch.jpg
    Barch.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 29
  • Barch2.jpg
    Barch2.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 23
Was it the same MOT station? The practice on advisories seems to vary tremendously. The place I take my B to (an independent centre, with no workshop attached) rarely includes any advisories. The garage my wife took her horrible Volvo V50 to last month included a long list of advisories, most of which just described routine ageing (it's an 8 year old car with 120k miles on it, ffs), presumably in an attempt to drum up some further preventative repair work, but all that's done is to drive down the wretched car's secondhand value! They even took the trouble to itemise all the various scrapes on the bodywork (my wife and daughter drive it like a dodgem), which are definitely not an MOT item! Mind you, even a blind person in a hurry would have been able to spot those!

Last edited:
Oh, how I don't miss the UK MOT nightmare... I remember a guy failing me for corroded brake lines once and all it was was the underseal flaking off them. We cleaned them up and painted them and he failed it again.. I went to another garage and they passed it.

Here in Italy it's a bit of a joke. They check it has 4 wheels, that it can stop and that it doesn't make too much smoke. And it's only every 2 years. The test for registering an imported car was even worse. I managed to break the rolling road so they didn't bother testing the brakes and the headlights were illuminating airplanes but they worked and that was sufficient! :) And this advisory thing is nonsense.. They introduced it after I fled the UK but it would have been another reason to leave. We laugh (in horror) sometimes about how laid back and uncaring Italy is but the UK is the extreme of that.

Here's a classic I saw on Saturday in Torino. Why not keep driving it if it still runs?!! :cool::):)

20160723_114712_resized.jpg

It sure is! My MOT's now overdue, but I have to get the wretched car to the testing station first!

Enjoy your lovely B while the sun shines!

Back