Technical Buckled wheel?

Currently reading:
Technical Buckled wheel?

alexbonidotnet

Hey

I went to get the front tyres replaced on my motor the yesterday and seeing as Fiat will only fit P Zero Neros or Bridgestone Pretenders, both of which wear too quickly for my liking, to my car I took a gamble and went to my local HiQ (franchised).

This is where it gets weird; firstly, they were clowning around for a few minutes trying to get my car on the jacks, almost ripping the side skirts off in the process. Needless to say, not a great start. After getting the tyres off and fitting a new set of Falken ZE912s one of them called me over and showed me one of my rims on the wheel balancer. It wasn't true and had some very significant lateral movement even at a few RPM.

The mechanic was looking pretty pleased with himself and immediately went on about how the tyre was losing pressure already and wouldn't be safe to drive on and got quite pushy trying to sell me a new rim for £250 (the 17" mjet forked rims).

I pointed out that the car's handling and steering was fine and that surely I'd have noticed judder on the wheel. I then pointed out that there was no uneven wear on my old tyres and no flat spots or balding which should surely occur. He said that tyres would wear normally with a buckled wheel and you wouldn't necessarily feel it. Having buckled a front wheel before, I insisted I knew what it would feel like. I also pointed out that the tyres weren't losing any pressure, to which he said that the tyre was 'sealed' and so it wouldn't happen - but surely the new tyre was 'sealed' when he fitted it. It made the loud 'bang' as it was inflated...

Anyway, I paid up and left with him insisting I call him today to get the wheel fitted. On my way back I stopped at the petrol station to put the correct amount of air in the tyres (they massively under-inflated them ffs, basic fricken stuff). Just been there again today and the tyre is still inflated to the right pressure. Was this guy trying to pull a fast one or am I just being overly cautious? Just seems very odd to me.

I'll get my Bella booked in at my local Fiat to see if they can give me a definite answer, but I'm just not convinced a wheel that was so far from spinning true would be totally unnoticeable to the driver. The lateral movement was insane.

On the two occasions I have had buckled alloys I instantly knew and there was no way I could have driven on them, sounds a bit suspicios to me, did you take any pictures of the wheel?

Like the daft prat I am, it didn't occur to me at the time! Ideally I would have video'd it. :(

However, as you said I would have noticed such a serious buckle. The winter before last I danced on the ice and got well acquainted with a kerb, buckling the wheel. It was impossible to miss how much the ride changed.

Of course, I'd totally knackered the Macpherson strut and steering arm too, which may have been more noticeable :p

After nightmare experiences with Arnold Clarke and similar I'm a lot less trusting of these franchise businesses. I'm not saying the mechanic didn't put the wheel on the machine right... but you catch my drift.

I'm a lot less trusting of these franchise businesses. I'm not saying the mechanic didn't put the wheel on the machine right... but you catch my drift.

Nail,head!

In my experience such organisations like to lay it on thick and sometimes can be liberal with the truth hoping that the 95% of the public who don't know anything about cars will just pay the money

I'd say if you can't tell anything wrong when driving then don't worry about it

Whats the chance,the lad at the garage just happened to have a Mjet alloy,are you sure it's not his that is buckled and he is just trying to sell yours back to you for £250.
get a 2nd opinion.
Did you watch him take your wheel off and that it was your wheel that alledgedly was buckled. you would feel it in your steering, it would feel unbalanced because it is, sounds like a con to me.

Hey

I went to get the front tyres replaced on my motor the yesterday and seeing as Fiat will only fit P Zero Neros or Bridgestone Pretenders...

Not strictly true. The Dealer will fit whatever tyres you want, but on the day it normally depends on what the local tyre depot can supply. We used to give several quotes, including matching what's on the car, a quality alternative, and a budget tyre.

When the Alfa 159 came out, they were a pain for tyres on the optional biggest wheels as only two manufacturers made them in the right size, and no-one kept them locally! :eek:

The wheel could be buckled but not badly enough for you to feel it / make it unuseabe. The Tjet/Mjet wheels are soft as cheese and they do buckle easily.

Take the wheel off and roll it and you should be able to see if it has any flat spots on it.

This was mine and it got fixed fine......

25788_339003787571_501587571_3755327_5843765_n.jpg

Last edited:
Whats the chance,the lad at the garage just happened to have a Mjet alloy,are you sure it's not his that is buckled and he is just trying to sell yours back to you for £250.
get a 2nd opinion.
Did you watch him take your wheel off and that it was your wheel that alledgedly was buckled. you would feel it in your steering, it would feel unbalanced because it is, sounds like a con to me.

I insisted on staying in the bay with my car, watched them do the whole process. They didn't have the wheel in stock, but they could get it delivered for me, so they weren't that obvious about it ;)

Not strictly true. The Dealer will fit whatever tyres you want, but on the day it normally depends on what the local tyre depot can supply. We used to give several quotes, including matching what's on the car, a quality alternative, and a budget tyre.

My local Fiat only supply the Pretenders and PZNs for my car. I asked for otherwise but said they won't. After 6k on the PZNs, which were right on the tread indicators I figured they're too expensive for the bugger all use I get out of them!

Just wondering if wheel balancing is checked during an MOT (I know the tread is). If you had a buckled wheel would it cause an MOT failure?

I've got 2 buckled wheels on my t-Jet both nearside. I only found out a couple off days ago when it went in for it's service, they told me but did not say they needed replacing. The car handles fine and i can't feel a thing.

Went to get my balancing done at a kwik fit recently and they told me my wheel was buckled-asked them to show me but I couldn't see a thing. Next day I went on the m-way and my steering wheel was all over the place. Took it to the nearest kwik fit (not the same one) who advised me the wheel was NOT buckled but the balancing was WAY out. Seems they worsened the balancing in the hope I get a new wheel? Fixed for free and will never use them again... Get a 2nd opinion!!

you say you had a buckled wheel at the front before...

i have something weird going on with my front left wheel ,

http://a2.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hpho...15333025_100000608154558_712082_1557410_n.jpg

as you see the bottom is coming out and the top has gone in ...

when i go to 60mph + my whole car shakes... as im driving down the motorway .. my boot i can see is shaking and also my passenger's seat is shaking madly ...

i have no idea what it is? buckled wheel ???

its not my tracking has i've had it done ..

yeah i been told its the camber, but im not sure if thats why it shakes?

i'll get balancing done tomorrow actually and report back i got no work .

Been busy the past couple of days, but I intend to get my Bella down to the local Fiat dealership within the next couple of days. Just been out for an hours drive round the back roads here, nothing too spirited, and in all honesty she feels brilliant. I've had her from new, just over three years now and I swear she drives better and better every day.

Back