Technical broken timing belt HELP !!!

Currently reading:
Technical broken timing belt HELP !!!

Noel

ihave a fiat uno fire 998cc can any one tell if there can be damage to the valves or piston ? And if theres no damage can anyone tell me how can i find the timing marks on pulleys cause i have a damaged water pump too !

The 8-valve FIRE engines are "safe" engines, i.e. if the belt goes there shouldn't be any piston-valve contact. It's more than likely that your engine is OK.

Timing marks are a line etched into the edge of the pulleys, pointing out from the centre.

i think that on the cam pulley there is a mark on the left hand side on the engine but the other one i can`t find it jonny boy !!!!!

i think that on the cam pulley there is a mark on the left hand side on the engine but on the other pulley i can`t find it jonny boy !!!!!

Oh right, you mean the mark on the engine rather than the pulley itself?

It's a bit hard to explain, there's a notch on the oil pump housing next to the pulley. See this attached pic, courtesy of the haynes manual and a digital camera ;)

Attachments

• timingmarks.jpg
    timingmarks.jpg
    126.4 KB · Views: 788
There is a mark at the cam pulley, after removing the plastic shield. The other is "inside" the gearbox / clutch. Remove the rubber square plug if it hasn´t fallen off already. Align and fit a new belt. Please ask if any questions...

Your engine is ok. Propably no damage due to an "idiot-safe" design (FIRE).

Morten.

thanks to everyone for the help especially morty mort , jonny boy , dave and louie bee that was very helpfull !!! Thanks again .

Hi, do i need to line the flywheel up before i can set the crankshaft and camshaft timing marks. Where do i need to set the 'auxillary' sprocket? What does the auxillary sprocket do?

Cheers

Kev :)

I plan to have another go at my sister's car tonight (18.00 GMT) if anyone can throw any light on the issue, i'd really appreciate it.

Thanks

the flyhweel is on the otherside of the engine.. so you can ignore that. remove the alternator drive pulley and you'll see this:

22_TDC.jpg

you wont have red painted lines, but they are the bottom end timng marks.

Thanks for that arc, i have previously lined up those marks, and also the marks on the camshaft sprocket, but do i need to worry about the 'auxillary' sprocket?

Am i correct in thinking that once i line up the crankshaft and camshaft timing marks, the engine should fire? How do i tell if i've got the crankshaft pully 180 degrees out?

Thanks

if those marks are lined up, and the cam sprocket is - then the timing is correct.

the aux pulley has a dimple on the back of it - it alligns with a wee nubbin on the crank sprocket. you can just see it at the bottom of the crank sprocket.

i am assuming you are working on an uno with fuel injection, if so then the aux sprocket does have to be correctly allignged as a sensor watches the teeth on it. If you dont have fuel injection, then i'm not sure if the allignment of the aux pulley is critical or not.

arc said:
the aux pulley has a dimple on the back of it - it alligns with a wee nubbin on the crank sprocket. you can just see it at the bottom of the crank sprocket.

i am assuming you are working on an uno with fuel injection, if so then the aux sprocket does have to be correctly allignged as a sensor watches the teeth on it. .

Hi, yes it is an injection car, so i need to align the auxillary sprocket as you say.

I'm sorry for being thick, but are you saying that there is a little mark on the crank sproket, that will be a 6 o'clock if the timing marks are lined up with the engine, and i also need to make sure that the 'mark' on the aux sprocket it ALSO at 6 o'clock?

On another note, i've just been and tried to turn the engine over (i'd flattened the battery) and it doesn't appear to EVEn sound like it wants to fire. In fact, there is a slight 'whurring' noise and and you hand turn the cam sprocket, there doesn't seem to be much resistenace. have i broken it, or what do i need to do?

Thanks for all your help, me and my sister really appreciate it.

If you line up the crank sprocket marks as in that photo, and also line up the cam sprockets - that should be the timing done, and sorted.

Turn the engine over by using a socket on the crank pulley, you should be able to turn it over (if not, take the spark plugs out). Turn it over a couple of times and then re-check the timing marks still line up.

The aux pulley has a slight indentation on the back of it, that indentation lines up with a small lump on the crank pulley. If you look at the crank sprocket and the aux pulley you should be able to see both the indentation and small lump.

Back