General Brake discs and pads

Currently reading:
General Brake discs and pads

This post contains affiliate links which may earn a commission at no additional cost to you.
Nah dont buy expensive brakes mate, budget £200 for brakes and pads and that's just enough. Try europerformance.co.uk or ebay.co.uk for stilo discs like i did. I have found greenstuff screech a little bit so be warner.

Hope i helped.
Joel

Fraid not big man. Green stuff are good don't get me wrong but they do make a noise which im trying to get rid off as much as possiible. Maybe mintex? Or ebc?

Ive had a full set of mintex discs and pads on for about 3 months now, reasonable price, feel good, but a bit squeely under light breaking.

get APEC brakes and pads,£130 approx and no squeeks the local garages and DIY love these brakes with no fade,so my stilo have just had new APEC'S in all the corners,new spillpipe on the injectors friday and she'll be on the road for saturday!

I'm on mintex discs and pads from eBay in my Abarth. Good feel, no squealing. Front full set was I think £80, search the bat for stilo minted discs and pads. They list with a stock pic of a mintex discs box.

Just found them, £56 for the front kit, £50 for the rear. £106 all in. Bonus. If you want cross drilled or grooved, I'd suggest black diamond discs, or nitrac discs if you've got the cash burning a hole. Both look cool, both good rep. Mate to feredo ds performance pads for good grip, minimum squeal and little brake filth.

Diy it to make sure it's done right!

Just checked, nitracs are £188 a pair front, and black diamond are £155, EBC the same. All cross drilled and grooved from motor sport world. Decent pads are £40-£70 depending on brand.

Last edited:
Can anyone help? Need new brake discs and pads and gunna buy some at end of the month payday, any recomendations. Was gunna shell out quite a few squid but after searching most people on here on are saying its not worth getting expensive brakes etc.

was looking at these http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT=&item=360215865134=
seems to be front and rear and seems a reasonable choice?

thanks in advance

This kit is really good. I've got these brakes on my 1.6, and it stops like it has never done before. I was a bit worried about warming them up for a good bite point, but they grip immediately. The Mrs. is happy aswell, and what could be better?

This post contains affiliate links which may earn a commission at no additional cost to you.
Alot of my Honda Type R buddies state that the drilled disc's offen crack or split under constant heavy load, thus it's best just to get the grooved only discs. Don't know if there is enough noticeable difference in regards to breaking to warrant drilled, but thought i'd throw that in.

Drilled is no point on a street car. Not grooved either, if you drive normally. But what is very noticeable is the reduced amount of brake dust. It might be the pads aswell, but these grooved discs (mentioned in post 1) really seem to throw the dust away from the alloys. I mainly bought this kit because of price and simply because it was a kit that suited my need. The quality seems fantastic. Great look is just a bonus.

Great, just the thread i was looking for (y)

My 115 JTD Stilo is in desperate need of both rear and front brake discs and pads. Glad i found this post as i was in need of some advice on brake disc manufacturers. I have heard that EBC produce some good products both in pads and discs, but as mine is a diesel, for some reason they seem to be more expensive than petrol brake discs. Has any had or heard anything that is off putting to EBC brakes and pads?

As Morty Mort pointed out and i have been told this aswell there is no point in grooved or drilled brake discs for normal road use cars. One major issue that i was point out to is that they take a while to warm up and first thing in the morning, the last thing you want is to crap your pants wilst trying to slow the car down.

So im going for vented discs at the mo, not sure which are best solid or vented and which are more reliable and better quality to have, anyone know better or which are recommended?
Oh and in relation to brakes and mechanisms, does any one know which type of spray paint i should use to spray paint my brake calipers?

Just to throw another supplier into the pot..

http://www.car-brakes.co.uk/

If your worried about quality then use them they dont supply dodgy quality products and you can always be assured of getting a good product..

Ive just put Apec brakes on and they are fine but the drivers side front is squeeking all the time,not even on braking any ideas seems as if its not realising properly all the other corners are fine.

Ive just put Apec brakes on and they are fine but the drivers side front is squeeking all the time,not even on braking any ideas seems as if its not realising properly all the other corners are fine.

Not sure I'd call it fine if brakes are squealing all the time :confused:

....or do you mean one of the front disc protectors is touching the disc (due to getting bent during installation) :chin:

No definate not bent,the previous set started 2 squeel on braking and juddering steering on braking, the lad that fitted new ones said the new ones were slighty thicker,all the corners are fine except the front driver side,he said it will be the workings of the caliper jammed up with the crud when the diesel was leaking all over the rear of the engine and the diesel was all over this side wheel & brakes,so he thinks all the muck will have clogged the caliper, he is going to remove the whole mechanism and give it the works with wd40 give it a good soaking,this should cure it :worship:

Didnt want to start a new thread so. Did we get a conclusion as to what the Best Discs and Pads are for the Stilo. Lots of different opinions. Think i've got sticking breaks and a mate says they are close to being done anyway so may as well change them. Dont wanna spend too much but do want a good setup.

Car is Stilo JTD 115 3 Door.

Back