General black plastic cover from the top of the engine is missing

Currently reading:
General black plastic cover from the top of the engine is missing

Lloyd99

Hi folks, Im in the process of buying a used 2019 Doblo Cargo Van. I notice on inspection that the black plastic cover from the top of the engine is missing ? Is this cover cosmetic only or is it actually there for a purpose ? Any advise greatly appreciated

Like most plastic engine covers its there to
A) keep dirt, road debris, rain, moisture etc off of the ancillary components.keeping things clean
B) aids heat transfer away from the engine sort of like a radiator
c) encourages air-flow over the engine not "cooling "as such but more maintaining an even spread of heat throughout the head/block!
dont mean the vehicle wouldnt be fine without it! but ask yourself would the manufacturers have fitted it for no purpose!?.

Only engine cover I know of that’s vital was on my sons 1.2 Fabia which had 2 vacuum pipes running to it and had the air filter built in. Short of that every other vehicle I’ve owned there pretty much just cosmetic

Mostly it is cosmetic plus on diesel engines often also sound deadening .

On some engines it also stops rain water pooling in low spots on top of engine - this can be important on vehicles that are used infrequently as pooled rain water can cause corrosion issues.

I don't know specifically about your doblo engine.

Missing cover a Good reason to get money off purchase price.

I’d want to know why it’s missing. If it’s had some work done and wasn’t replaced, how well do you think the work was done?

Back