General bilstein dampers

Currently reading:
General bilstein dampers

anyone had any experience with fitting b6 bilstein dampers? just pondering at the moment as they are expensive, really just looking for improved handling and ride in particular a bit better body control I don't want to lower the suspension not least because of insurance aggro associated with it plus I want to retain practicality/comfort.

I haven't played with my Bravo but Bilstein are a very highly regarded manufacturer. I remember McLaren used to use Bilstein dampers on their F1 cars! Is your Bravo a Sport?

Well still thinking about it, the cost is a bit off putting plus the car is still under warranty but the lack of the sharp Italian drive I am used to in my previous lancias makes me want to do it. I'm also slightly confused with the information in the bilstein catalogue some front damper versions are lsited as a bolt pitch of 58mm others 75mm but the variations don't follow the same compatibility shown for OE on eper. Anyone know which bolts this dimension relates to so I can measure it? I am guessing the bolts at the base of the front strut(?).

If you only want to tighten up the handling, could try a strutbrace or uprated antiroll bars first? Prob cost you between £50 and £200.

Fitting a front strutbrace to my 150 mjet transformed the handling no end!

Is the Delta's setup a lot softer than the Bravo then, the T-Jet Sport doesn't exactly roll much!

Is the Delta's setup a lot softer than the Bravo then, the T-Jet Sport doesn't exactly roll much!

Never tried a bravo so I am not sure, suspension is relatively firm, ride a bit jittery, no sport button just the city garbage although steering is not over light. It is a 165 multijet with 18 inch alloys and stability control. It is not so much that it rolls massively but the body control as you turn into corners isn't perfect, secondly I suspect that the jittery ride is down to inadequate damping ( had a similar issue with an mg tf we had and that was definitely down to cost cutting on damper specification). The car is fine really, went up to the lakes and over wrynose and hardknott passes and it was better than I expected, but I would like it to be just that little bit better plus the wife reckons it's soggy and makes her feel sick!

Last edited:
'your car' felt ok to drive when i test drove it in comparison to a MultiAir engined one and my Bravo T-Jet 150 Sport

the Chrysler is a bit heavier and setup more for comfort

i would check the tyres and pressures, this can make a big difference!

but i stand by my recommendation of eibach springs and bilstein dampers - did this conversion on an Alfa 156 Sportwagon JTD and it absolutely transformed the car

our cars are slightly over sprung yet underdamped, the upgraded parts will improve body control through less weight transfer, low speed ride will also be improved as the springs are progressive rate

let me know how you get on (y)

I agree with the tyre pressures. Inflating my 205/16s to 34psi made a big difference to the handling.

Bilsteins / eibachs are cracking set ups - I've used them on a nova and on my 20vt Coupe - though the right will feel slightly harsher and the car will be lower.

From what you describe - I would still try a strut brace first :)

I agree with the tyre pressures. Inflating my 205/16s to 34psi made a big difference to the handling.

Bilsteins / eibachs are cracking set ups - I've used them on a nova and on my 20vt Coupe - though the right will feel slightly harsher and the car will be lower.

From what you describe - I would still try a strut brace first :)

I already increased the the pressures a tad a while back which made a difference to the ride. I haven't seen any strut braces for the 2.0 multijet but I don't expect one to make a big improvement I am pretty sure it's related to underspecified dampers especially the jittery ride. Anyway it's is still good so I'm going to think about it for a while as funds are tight, also I need to confirm for certain which dampers fit the 2.0 as the bilstein catalogue doesn't seem to make sense

I already increased the the pressures a tad a while back which made a difference to the ride. I haven't seen any strut braces for the 2.0 multijet but I don't expect one to make a big improvement I am pretty sure it's related to underspecified dampers especially the jittery ride. Anyway it's is still good so I'm going to think about it for a while as funds are tight, also I need to confirm for certain which dampers fit the 2.0 as the bilstein catalogue doesn't seem to make sense

call them(y)

Sales Contacts United Kingdom

ThyssenKrupp Bilstein Tuning UK
Unit T1 Bruntingthorpe Proving Ground, Bruntingthorpe, Lutterworth
LE17 5QS Lutterworth
United KingdomTel.: +44 1162478930
Fax.: +44 1162478837

call them(y)

Sales Contacts United Kingdom

ThyssenKrupp Bilstein Tuning UK
Unit T1 Bruntingthorpe Proving Ground, Bruntingthorpe, Lutterworth
LE17 5QS Lutterworth
United KingdomTel.: +44 1162478930
Fax.: +44 1162478837

I think I need to get under the car and check the damper dimensions, on eper the 1.9 twin turbo and 2.0 have the same dampers but bilstein list different ones with different bolt pitch of I need the ones that are listed for the 1.9 I definitely can't afford them as they are quite a bit more expensive

Back