General ATF fluid spill in brake fluid

Currently reading:
General ATF fluid spill in brake fluid

cyberbird

Hi,

I was changing brake fluid today and I accidentally spilled a bit of (20 ml) of old ATF DEX3 in brake fluid reservoir (it was still full of brake fluid).
I immediately sucked it out with a syringe and poured new brake fluid and sucked it out again a few more times.

Then I proceeded to bleed brake fluid on all wheels.
A bit of residue from atf could remain in system... How bad is this?

Sub. Optimal.. 😉

My neighbour brimmed theirs with ScreenWash.. I did like you.. Syphoned it out with an oil syringe

Topped back with brake fluid

Never had an issue 🙂. If you didn't pump the pedal.. I suspect you are ok

Remember the brake fluid
DOES NOT Circulate.. It is a Reservoir..

Obviously take notice of changes in behaviour.. But I suspect you will forget all about it over the months 🙂

I'd think the amount of ATF you'd get in there is minimal, and not sure you can do much more other than bleed it again.

I agree with Charlie above. If you didn't depress the brake pedal then I think what you've done is as much as you can and the risk is vanishingly minimal. I suppose, if you still haven't yet pressed the brake pedal then there's pretty much zero possibility that any contaminated fluid will have been sucked into the cylinder so you could syphon out the fluid in the reservoir and remove the reservoir itself from the cylinder body. Then wash it out with methylated spirit, brake cleaner or whatever refit it and fill with fresh fluid. The problem with this plan is the reservoirs are usually a tight, very tigh, push fit into gromits on the m/cyl ports and there's a fair chance of the plastic of the reservoir breaking due to the force you've usually got to use on it.

So if it were me I'd have done what you've done, and just carry on using it. The seals are unlikely to fail catastrophically quickly but will leak or cause a "falling pedal" before anything dramatic happens. Then you can always curse and swear at that time if you end up buying a new cylinder maybe a couple of years from now.

Back