Technical airbag Clockspring.

Currently reading:
Technical airbag Clockspring.

jimbo1987

anyone know how to remove the airbag squib ring please??? I have the steering wheel off and cant remove the wiper stalk assembly. thanks

I assume you mean the clockspring. The squib in an explosive device that fires, and is part of, the airbag.

The clockspring is fitted to the stalk switches with 3 screws. Before removing the steering wheel, set the front wheels in the straight ahead position. Then remove the steering wheel, then the clockspring. Make sure that the 2 parts of the clockspring don't turn while removing it or while it's removed. A new clockspring is fitted with a break off locking clip to prevent it turning when off the car.

FOLLOW THE SAFETY PRECAUTIONS BEFORE DISCONNECTING ANY AIRBAG WIRING

Attachments

• Clockspring.JPG
    Clockspring.JPG
    26.7 KB · Views: 135
  • Clockspring Lock Tab.jpg
    Clockspring Lock Tab.jpg
    45.8 KB · Views: 126
cheers mate got the wiper assembly off now think im going to leave the clock spring on and keep the one off the donor car will that work?? also do you know anyone on the forum who is handy with electrics because im trying to undo some work done by an auto sparks and fit a working stalk assembly because the headlights were wired into a switch on the dash. thanks

Providing the donor car has the same number of steering wheel buttons (if any), then it should be OK. You will still need to remove the switches and clockspring from the donor car with the wheels straight ahead and refit it to your car without turning the clockspring.

If you add your location to your profile, you may get offers of help.

Last edited:
Inside the clockspring housing there is just a long coil of flat ribbon cable. Individual strands of the cable are used to fire the airbag and to connect any steering wheel buttons.

During manufacture, the tension of the coil of ribbon cable is set so that it can wind or unwind the correct amount so that it doesn't break when turning the steering wheel. At this point of manufacture, the red locking pin is inserted. If it isn't set correctly, turning the steering wheel to full lock in one direction could snap the cable.

When you remove the switches and clockspring from the donor car, leave the connectors connected to the switches and cut the wiring as far away from the connectors as possible. This will make it easier for you (or whoever does it) to reconnect the wiring from your car to the switches.

ok cheers will let you know how I get on, got a bit of rewiring to do first. im hoping that once ive sorted the mess with all the wiring that someone done that my abs lamp will come on and the failure warning will disappear at same time!!! gota live in hope eh

I know what you mean but there has been a lot of jigging with the wires and there was also a tracking box installed badly. bit of a mess realy and the wires were just cut not taped and twisted together for all connections, all because the light stalk broke. been a right head ache to try and sort. if it fixes it bonus if it don't then that's the next thing on the list but as it stands I don't get no abs light on startup!

Back