Technical Abarth Brakes - rear disc is glowing! [poorly fitted pad]

Currently reading:
Technical Abarth Brakes - rear disc is glowing! [poorly fitted pad]

Hi Peoples
I have a Fiat stilo Abarth 2.4, i have noticed in the great weather we are having that my brakes are sticing quite alot. I drove about a mile today from a friends house and it took alot more to get the car moving, when i got back there was a strong burning smell coming from the back wheel. When i looked at it there was a little smoke and the alloy was hot. Has anyone else had any of these problems and does this mean i am going to have to get new brakes?:(:(:(

Hi Peoples
I have a Fiat stilo Abarth 2.4, i have noticed in the great weather we are having that my brakes are sticing quite alot. I drove about a mile today from a friends house and it took alot more to get the car moving, when i got back there was a strong burning smell coming from the back wheel. When i looked at it there was a little smoke and the alloy was hot. Has anyone else had any of these problems and does this mean i am going to have to get new brakes?:(:(:(

possibly dodgy handbrake cable if its burning up the rear

I thought that but its just on the passenger side, i just hope its the caliper sticking because its so cold (-3 last night). Gonna give it a run out today and see what happens. Also does anyone know how expensive it is to get the car serviced via the computer thing in the car need to get it done?

It might well be the same as the Bravos and your handbrake cable is simply frozen on that side. Older style Bravo owners often leave their handbrake off at night and use gears and bricks to hold car still when it's sub zero temps otherwise they can't get moving in the mornings:)

A bowl of boiling hot water under the offending cable can speed things along

Last edited:
Well now we have a problem, coming home from work and i could feel the car was sluggish. When i stopped about 100 yards down the road i checked my rear left side brake and the disc was glowing orange. The back brake seems to have seized completly. Cant move forward or backwards without great power from the engine. Any thoughts on what it could be? weird thing is that this only ever happens when it is really really cold. Cars now been towed to a garage and i am now in limbo about the fault and repair cost. :confused::confused::confused::confused::confused::confused::confused::confused::confused::confused::confused::confused:

Well as we've allready said it's probably handbrake cable,
The reason why you really have a problem now is despite the free advice and symptoms you described your still driving it a week later ;)

I'd say more likely a seized calliper (most likely due to dodgy rear pad change) but you're right - these issues should be sorted when they happen unless the owner isn't bothered by a huge repair bill :(

In any case, it's just plain dangerous driving a car in that state considering present road conditions (n)

Wooo before we get on pedastals, the rear left side brake was sticking and only in very cold temps. The stick was only when setting off and was ok after the first intial start. I only noticed the stick because the first time it happend the left back side alloy was hot and the disc was smoking. Note after that night the car was fine and the brake was not sticking any more. Its nothing to with the hand brake i already knw that as it is only affecting the one wheel. I think the other poster is right however that the caliper has stuck and just hope it is just a dodgy pad as the calipers i have are hand painted, a job i really dont want to be doing never mind forking out the 90 quid plus for the caliper. Has anyone had any problems with a brake seizure?

handbrake cables 3.JPG
The handbrake has two separate cables. Can you see how it would affect just one side in freezing weather if water got inside one of the worn cables and froze there?

How does water get in?
It runs down the cable from the top, in through the seal but can't get out at the bottom. water turns to ice and it's all solid

It's purely a guess but a seized caliper tends to put the brakes on harder as the disc warms and expands and not get easier

Last edited:
Wasn't there a recall notice for the rear brakes on the Stilo? I had a stuck left caliper on Monty about three weeks after I bought him (with 24,000 or so on the clock) and had to have both sides changed.

Apparently it was a recognised fault?

Just received the word from the mechanic. The brake pad was fitted incorrectly, had jammed and seized the caliper. Luckily the pistons had only come loose and broken out. They replaced the pads at both rear sides and the car is now ok. Only cost £45 so im well chuffed......:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D

1. Cold air outside.
2. Fast driving.
3. Heavy breaking.

Just a winter tip: Don't put on the handbrake when brakes are hot and temp is cool, as this might cause warped discs on both sides. In addition the cable might freeze overnight. I usually let it rest in gear.

M.

Back