Technical 500L - those stainless steel sill trims.

Currently reading:
Technical 500L - those stainless steel sill trims.

Arancia

So, I have a pair of lovely new sill strips and those nylon nipple fixings ready to go on Arancia.
I wonder if anyone has any tips on just how I should go about it? the thought of drilling holes into my lovely new sills fills me with dread.
Are those nylon fitting nipples just a push fit or are they screwed in to the sill somehow? Am beginning to think about using glue instead but the rear of the strips don’t seem to lend themselves to such an approach and I’m not convinced about using adhesives anyway,
Any pearls of wisdom would be gratefully received. In the meantime a few photos of progress.
thanks
057F44E2-B111-4F0C-8981-1B179EB60F10.jpeg
0C834255-DC4B-4B92-B79C-6697D78D1A67.jpeg
69058C6E-9EE7-4D89-AFFE-B136F9266CB1.jpeg
DD87293A-E22D-45EA-820A-C5D9698420D0.jpeg

I’ve used the high strength double sided pads from 3M to stick carbon fibre strips to sills. Should be fine with stainless too. Just make sure you clean things beforehand.
Its also possible to stick pad on pad if you need to fill a gap.

I’ve used the high strength double sided pads from 3M to stick carbon fibre strips to sills. Should be fine with stainless too. Just make sure you clean things beforehand.
Its also possible to stick pad on pad if you need to fill a gap.
Many thanks Cornish Ian.

Following. I had the sills replaced on my 'L' and have left the trim strips off until I can find a suitable method of fixing without drilling. The main problem is the contour of the panel and the rolled profile of the strip itself, so there needs to be sufficient thickness and contact to make it stick.

Following. I had the sills replaced on my 'L' and have left the trim strips off until I can find a suitable method of fixing without drilling. The main problem is the contour of the panel and the rolled profile of the strip itself, so there needs to be sufficient thickness and contact to make it stick.
Thanks Ant. We are thinking along the same lines - it’s the slight contour that needs to be accounted for. Suspect I will find a way using adhesive and or pads.

the nylon clips are in some ways better tha the metal ones....
My Italian friends say....
Drill and trial fit all the trim at the start of your prep for paint
then when you paint it there should be no bare steel.... (you may have to go up .5mm in hole size as the paint will make it smaller...)
Fill the ssill cavities with some form of wax type rust prevenative (although Fiats seem top ignore such things and rust any ways)

the nylon clips are in some ways better tha the metal ones....
My Italian friends say....
Drill and trial fit all the trim at the start of your prep for paint
then when you paint it there should be no bare steel.... (you may have to go up .5mm in hole size as the paint will make it smaller...)
Fill the ssill cavities with some form of wax type rust prevenative (although Fiats seem top ignore such things and rust any ways)
Many thanks. If only….. the body has been beautifully rebuilt and painted ! Wish I had thought of this before. Do the nylon clips just push in or should they have a screw through them?

So im nearing this stage right now. I am installing D upper body trim aluminum pcs onto my F, along with a stainless lower rocker strip. I made the decision early on in the build that i would not be drilling holes into the body.

Ill be calling my auto body supplier Tuesday and trying to get my hands on either some 3M 08223 - 2 part Urethane Adhesive, or SEM 41807 2 part urethane adhesive. They have a short cure time (3-5 min), and are compatible with multiple surfaces. I wanted something that sets quickly and has a high viscosity to prevent runs or drips during the application and cure on vertical surfaces. Also something that is multi material compatible, and not solvent based that could cause a reaction with the paint causing de-lamination. Typically a epoxy adhesive vs a single part "air dry" adhesive has less chance of damaging the paint underneath.

One thing though. Ill be running tape lines to help align up the trim before install, and to also help prevent any potential runs/drips from going where it doesn't belong.

There should be other mfgs that sell similar "universal" epoxy adhesives that are multi surface compatible in your neck of the woods. A good autobody supply shop should have product in stock.

Many thanks for your thoughts. Good luck with your fitting. If you take any photos of them fitted / being fitted it would be great to see them. Yes - much masking tape will be used on this side of the pond also!

Back