Technical 2012 Punto - High Pitched Noise & Strange Smell

Currently reading:
Technical 2012 Punto - High Pitched Noise & Strange Smell

HarlHM

Hi there,

For a while now I've occasionally been getting a really high pitched noise when starting my car (2012 Fiat Punto). This doesn't happen every time I start the car, and it is quite often "fixed" by turning the car off and on a few times.

This issue is sometimes also accompanied by a strange smell. Perhaps a burning smell, but I'm really not sure.

Very recently I've also had a bit of smoke.

A couple different garages haven't been confident about what the issue is. It was suggested by one garage that the issue is the alternator, but they weren't confident about that. I asked whether it was a belt that had come loose, but they said they checked it and it was fine. Is there only one belt that it could be?

Has anyone else had similar issues, or can confidently predict what the issue is? Sadly I'm not an expert on the subject, but the fact that these problems only happen occasionally (and at the start of the journey) suggests to me that it's only an issue when the engine's cool.

Many thanks in advance. :)

Hi. :)
The drive belt for the alternator is a common squeak point.

The 1 cheap and easy thing to try..

Carry a can of WD40 IN the car..
Next time it squeals..
Stop engine.. spray belt a little.
Restart..see if squeak is better.

Which engine have you got?

Charlie

Last edited:
im having the exact same problem!

this morning i went in my car and had like a strange noise over revs. then my battery light came on and the smell was awful coming through! ive had someone out who checked the car battery and alternator and fan belt and they said they coming back fine.

ive put more oil in the car and leaving it until tomorrow morning until i can get it to a garage. im scared that its going to blow up haha.

ive had such a problem with my car i had exhaust pipes (underneath) changed 2 weeks ago and about 3 months ago new seals on my gearbox.

and back exhaust done in February.

Any ideas?

Thanks

this morning i went in my car and had like a strange noise over revs. then my battery light came on and the smell was awful coming through! ive had someone out who checked the car battery and alternator and fan belt and they said they coming back fine.

ive put more oil in the car and leaving it until tomorrow morning until i can get it to a garage. im scared that its going to blow up haha.

ive had such a problem with my car i had exhaust pipes (underneath) changed 2 weeks ago and about 3 months ago new seals on my gearbox.

Any ideas?

Thanks

Look here for some things to check:

Any ideas?

Thanks

Look here for some things to check:

https://www.fiatforum.com/grande-punto/318839-electrical-gremlin-thread.html

Thoughts are of seizing bearings in the alternator.. so tight that the belt slips..

( older grandes had a scuttle drain that poured drained rainwater over the alternator so a common failure.. back then)

Hence question of how belt : alternator were inspected ;)

Bluepunto had several threads running about this..

Check their posts if you are hoping they found the issue :)

Last edited:
Back