Technical 2.8jtd gearbox

Currently reading:
Technical 2.8jtd gearbox

Cheiftan69

Hi , my first post here so thanks in advance.
I have a camper with 2.8jtd, gearbox has become a little notchy from 2nd to 3rd and 4th to 3rd , I'm guessing it's a worn syncro. I know of a 05 2.8jtd van I could buy buy with a re con box gearbox . Later versions I know have hydraulic clutches are they compatible otherwise?? Woukd it be worth making it fit ,ie. Converting mine to hydraulic clutch or just get my own gearbox re cond ??
Many thanks

Hi , my first post here so thanks in advance.
I have a camper with 2.8jtd, gearbox has become a little notchy from 2nd to 3rd and 4th to 3rd , I'm guessing it's a worn syncro. I know of a 05 2.8jtd van I could buy buy with a re con box gearbox . Later versions I know have hydraulic clutches are they compatible otherwise?? Woukd it be worth making it fit ,ie. Converting mine to hydraulic clutch or just get my own gearbox re cond ??
Many thanks

Hi and welcome :)

Is yours also 2005? Both 5 speed..

Charlie

Sorry I forgot to mention mine is a 5 speed but a 2001 2.8jtd with cable clutch

I can't advise directly on the main question, but it may be important to be aware that there are at least two different versions of the 2.8JTD gearbox.

Earlier models had reverse selection bottom right below 5th, while later models have reverse selection at top left next to 1st (diagonally opposite).
This would suggest that the gear selection parts (lever and cables) would not be compatible. Also converting the clutch to hydraulic operation may well involve a complete change of pedal assembly.

Thanks for the replys, I have located a low mileage direct replacement gearbox for my 2.8jtd , albeit a bit expensive I think it would be the easier option, I wouldn't be afraid of going at converting to hydraulic clutch but its just one of those things that sounds simple but would probably kick you all the way !!
I reckon I'll bite bullet and buy the like for like gearbox
Cheers for your input ?

Also,be aware that (if IIRC) there are issues with top gear on these eaely 5 speeders. They can get starved of oil. If this is the box I am thinking of, it pays to add more oil than Fiat recommend to mitigate the possible effect of this fault. There is plenty on this forum about it, so have a search round and see.

If you are starting out with a recon box, this would be a wise move. Apparently, the early ones had a 5th gear added as an afterthought on the end of a 4 speed box, and oiling was compromised. Hope you can find the info- this is THE place to find out!

As Ocwobio has stated, the fifth gear lubrication in these 5 speed boxes is not brilliant. As I understand it, splashes of oil in the main section of the box are collected in a small trough. The oil that is collected runs by gravity into the fifth gear housing, where it drips onto the gears. The oil then drains back into the main section of the gearbox
This may be OK for vehicles in frequent use, but on a motorhome that has stood idle for some time, the fifth gear will have dripped almost dry.

The advice that I try to follow after a lay up, is to avoid using fifth gear for the first two miles. This should allow time for the oil to warm up and get onto the fifth gear assembly.

Welcome.

Will add this for the peeps interested in the 3 gearboxes.

I have a 4 speed automatic gearboxes in my 2006 2.8 JTD.
It lubricates with an oil slinger design and sump. It basically just throws the oil everywhere inside and drips down via gravity.

My auto gearbox is made by ZF.

I read my gearbox manual when changing the ATF oil which i sourced elsewhere.
It doesn't come with the owners manual or was missing.

Apparently, the autos were less common compared to the manual gearbox models.

You probably can add a 5 gear auto gearbox as an option.

From 2006 and onwards, autos are more common with a robotic hybrid manual mode gearbox.

Sounds like exactly what i have almost. Like a prototype transition model in 2006.

However, I read the specs on the manual gearbox version....which to my understanding, always was a 5 speed? I could be wrong on the manual gearbox!
Actually, it will be in my Owners manual but i only glossed over that section as it didn't apply to me. But i had to eliminate the manual gearbox figures. Figures for manual and auto gearbox is in the manual in close proximity or on the same page.

I have wondered if people are getting the auto and manual details mixed up on the forums?
I have heard many people say the the 2006 didn't even come in an auto gearbox.
ie. My auto insurance company has the info wrong online with their database.

I have experienced massive confusion with parts companies, insurance companies, etc. because of the gearbox type and variants.

My van is good. But the devil is in the detail.
You could easily get the wrong oil, wrong oil levels by not taking into account auto or manual gearbox. The type of oil is probably different also. Both readings are in the manual....

The variants multiply the confusion exponentially.

Then there is the variants. Box, Combi, panorama, VAN, BUS, MAXI etc.
You have to read that owners manual like a lawyer.
That has been my experience...
I come from a technical background but I spent at least a full week getting all the info correct. Probably 3-4 weeks.

It didn't help that someone removed the model tag off my auto gearbox either.
So i had a "blackbox" gearbox where i had to identify the model.

This all flows into other settings such as Torque settings when fixing your VAN or MH.
I found eLearn not easy to use.

This may be a native language thing and translation from Italian causing this.

I had whole sections missing in eLearn for my VAN.
eg. What is the torque setting for the front axle hub nut on the MAXI with auto gearbox?
The front axles are different on the auto compared to the manual. Also the CV joint is different as a result.

Been reading about front bearings going on the Ducato. That seems to be the reputation.
But what happens if people are torqueing the hub nut up to wrong spec because the spec isn't in eLearn? I certainly couldn't find the specific torque for the hub nut for my vehicle in there.

I do wonder if this is happening with Gearbox oil? ......

So I revisited my owners manual....and there it is!
Different gearbox oil for manual and auto gearbox. Different volumes also.

I would be very wary in overfilling.

There are big warnings in the manual regarding not doing precisely that.

I have chosen to follow the manufacturer guidelines here.
I can only check via MES using gearbox oil temp as my gearbox is sealed.
It is very difficult to check the oil level in mine. No dipstick or oil level window on my gearbox.

Well, that leaves you with plenty to think about!

Last edited:
Hi Charlie
The manual JTD gearboxes are pretty straightforward, I think. Being maybe only about 3 types, early with 'add on' 5th gear, manual or hydro clutch, or later 5 speed redesign with all hydro clutch.

The autos are likely a different story altogether, one I have no interest in reading, lol! You have found out yourself....the 'whodunnit' of ducato auto boxes, with very few clues along the way.

The manual early typed definitely will benefit from a little more oil, IIRC about 200ml. Also, users should be aware, that there is a link in someones post on here, about a super dooper new type of gear oil (think it is red in colour), that the makers web site linked to from said post, shows a demo of it NOT flinging off the gear wheels under any circumstances. I thought 'that's what the probelm early boxes need!', but on deeper thought, if it won't fling about, how will it get to the added 5th gear? Buyer beware!

Back