Technical 16 reg fiat doblo maxi problems

Currently reading:
Technical 16 reg fiat doblo maxi problems

DanieD

Hi folks,

Wondering if any of you can help me please?

Last summer I managed to get my hands on a fiat doblo maxi 16 reg 1.3 with under 60k mileage that was prev owned by a energy company... yes you are right feeling a bit jammy.

However, a few weeks back it started to act up and I just don't know what to do.

It started in November when I was out to work. Best way I can put it is that the power steering turned off. Thought I was going to take a heart attack. Once I got to my next client 2 hours later it was fine. So drove it to go shopping and then it became a drama queen. The power steering turned off again. Drove it around the shopping site and gave up. Went into get stuff and when I came out I was in shock. It looked like it was dropping at one side like it was taking a human stroke. Managed to get it to work again but called my garaged. They had a look but didn't know what to do. They said one of the wheels was out so helped me with that but had a look online and said if it happens just turn on and if it didn't it again turn off and leave it for a while.

December it had a few times that the power steering did this worked turning off but one time had to drive it. Honestly felt a bit scared and decided to use the car.

Then 2 weeks ago after using it to drive to clients it decided to completely die. After 30 minutes of waiting in the clients driveway and my husband came with his car to jump started it started on its own. Drove to nearest halfords for the guy to say that the battery has plenty of life still in it so wouldn't feel right replacing battery as its not going to help. He thinks something is draining the battery away from what it's meant for.

Still waiting on space at local garage. Poor lot have been rushed off their feet but thank goodness I have my car.

Has anyone else experienced this?

Is there something I am doing wrong?

Thanks in advance.

Could that be why the power steering is a problem?
It would be my TOP suspect. My panda battery failed but still showed 12.8v. It had me pulling my har out. If the battery is more than 5 years old I would try and swap with another car and see what happens. Steering uses a lot of power and affects electrical problemsmore than anything else. Battery failures are not what they used to be, and battery life seems much shorter too.

Good point. If it turns out to be a battery problem I would be over the moon. I'm hoping to make it into a wee stealth campervan for little island hops but could see it breaking down on the ferry lol.

Hi Danie, and welcome :)
First, a word of reassurance; this has happened on a lot of cars, happens on ours every now and again.
The car is not dangerous, the wheels are still firmly attached :)
It just makes the steering very heavy as the power steering isn't giving any assistance.
It's because the electric power steering draws a lot of current, if there's a problem with supply of power to the steering motor it switches off.

But it does need sorting.

It's typically either battery as Panda Nut says, or earth connections.
I would start by removing the negative terminal on the battery and giving the post and the clamp a thorough clean, a green scouring pad is great.
Then I would consider replacing the main earth cable.

There's a good guide to diagnosing the problem on Pandas here: https://www.fiatforum.com/threads/eps-electric-power-steering-faults.491623/

Oh, one other thing...
Don't even consider taking it to a FIAT dealer to fix. Their standard response seems to be put in a new column at huge expense :(
If all else does fail (battery, earth lead or alternator affecting power supply) there's a company that have sorted a few on here with refurbished replacements:
0117 960 2906

Back