General 100HP - Any ex-106 Rallye or Ignis Sport owners here?

Currently reading:
General 100HP - Any ex-106 Rallye or Ignis Sport owners here?

Unless you can prove that a 500 with a 1.4 16V 99bhp 97lb ft engine and a Panda 100HP with same said engine and same said power figures has different maps, then best not to state such things as its conjecture, and looks silly as different maps to achieve the same results doesn't add up and would be a waste of manufacturer development money when an existing map exists.

Have a look at this quote from a tuner on here from a previous thread

I have seen both in the flesh and the funny thing is that despite being on the same platform and the same engine there is a difference in the ECU's. The new 500 ECU we can map easily, but the Panda 100 creates still a lot of problems.

https://www.fiatforum.com/panda-new/124032-panda-100hp-better-than-fiat-500-1-4-a.html

(Post number 3)

As above, both the Panda and the 500 have the same engine but different ECU's

Both run IIRC Bosch ME7 they have to run those to run the Bosch fly-by-wire throttle control, all modern cars have to run the integrated ECU to run the throttle all copy written by Bosch. The Bosch unit also runs everything from air-bags, ABS (linked to traction control) to headlamps now, making it much harder to remove and run standalone in the original car, though easy enough to do in another car like our Seicento 1.4 16V 6speed. I know someone who develops engines for a living. Apart from minor upgrades ie ME7 5.5 etc until ME8 comes out it's the same unit.

As stated you are all getting off topic, the OP asked for an appraisal on his old cars to one he is contemplating getting.

Last edited:
The Ignis r/r print out is from a well know company but as I have now said twice, so this will be three times so check your eyes, as I reiterate yet again for your short sighted benefit. THEY ARE BEING TAKEN TO SMALL CLAIMS COURT BECAUSE THEY HAVE SOLD GOODS I.E RE-MAP WITH R/R PRINT OUT THAT IS NOT TRUE, when the car was tested a few weeks after the article it actually made 1bhp less on the remapped ECU than it did on a standard one!

Unless you can prove that a 500 with a 1.4 16V 99bhp 97lb ft engine and a Panda 100HP with same said engine and same said power figures has different maps, then best not to state such things as its conjecture, and looks silly as different maps to achieve the same results doesn't add up and would be a waste of manufacturer development money when an existing map exists.

The point about wheels is this; the Panda ran standard rims, its tested with standard rims & there weight is therefore irrelevant, the Igins ran much bigger heavier wheels than standard therefore it is relevant as its a change. I don't want to have to spoon feed you here but you are again not reading what is being written.

Bit strong saying you don't want to start a war, and yet you continue to argue, I gave a honest appraisal for OP's original question, why can you not accept that. :confused:

All well and good, but perhaps if you weren't so condescending you could get your points over better. Politeness costs nothing.

:) as a n ex 100hp owner I think Im entitled to rights to fight till the death!

Seriously, I missunderstood the part about the readings (power claims)...english isn't my first language, sorry for that.

I simply found it very odd for a car to be achieving results better than those claimed in factory, and even more, with bigger wheels and some minor loss of power. Besides, the factory given performance figures are hardly ever reachable in normal conditions. Sum all of the above and you'll see where I was pointing at.

Im drawing the line here...

F

Of course you are, no one is saying you are not. We all defend our own cars as we made them as our choice of transport, so always going to have an element of being personal about it.

I have tried (though have now been told otherwise) to give an answer to the original question.

How does the 100Hp compare to the 106 Rallye and Ignis Sport. Simple.

I had a 106 rallye 1.3 grN which cannot be compared with the panda but from experience with normal 106 i think
that the 106 was the old school hooligan.. I miss the free never ending reving of the engine, the steering feel but not the 3.8 turns from stop to stop and the agility of its chasssis. I don´t miss though that in every 100km i was saying more than 20 times
"that was close" especially when it was gripy its reactions were not so progressive which was made worst from the neverending steering rack.
I thing the panda is the only relatevely cheap smile machine in our days.
The panda is not so far behind in engine power and in the mountain i beleive it would be better. Furthermore because it is so easy to go fast and keep a tempo with half the effort that you needed in the 106 it is more or less the same again..
In heavy rain the panda is faster from point to point.
If you learn in old fashion cars like 205, 106 5gtt all and i mean all the new fwd cars are
soooo easy.

I rally a 205 GTi and have a 100HP as my demo.

They are both as fun as each other.

Hope this helps :D

Seems to be quite a following for both the Panda and 106 Rallye here! I own and still occasionally drive a 1997 S2 106 Rallye. One of the main reasons why I didn't buy the 100hp Panda was due to the fact both cars are remarkably similar in their execution - I opted for economy and general sensibleness and got a multijet instead.

The 106 Rallye handles like a dream, and having test driven a 100hp I was very impressed with its confidence around corners as well. The ride was fine for me, but I'm used to the stiffer suspension - one of my main issues with my multijet is the somewhat nervous and slightly roly poly handling around bends - I plan to add stiffer lower springs fairly soon to my car. The fuel consumption on my rallye wasn't too bad considering how hard I drive it - until recently I was using around £45 worth of fuel from Newcastle to Oxford, but I'd imagine the 100hp should be considerably better. (incidently my multijet manages it on £30 at an average 80mph).

The plus point in my opinion of the Rallye is its driving position - its low and almost go cart like, whereas (as fitting to many modern superminis) the Panda is slightly more upright - both have advantages and disadvantages I guess. Where the Rallye falls down severely would be its crash worthiness - its a 15 year old design, so the panda will be a better bet in a prang.

Both cars look pretty good, but I will opt for the Peugeots styling (just) simply because its a 3 door - the panda is a great looking car, particularly in 4x4 and 100hp guise but in my old fashioned head sports cars look better with less doors. But I think the Panda has the slightly higher head turning ability, simply because it looks so brutish - the Rallye is quite subtle and most people still won't know what the car is - I overheard one little yob claim that the car was a 'souped up 1.1 with stickers and white wheels' (!) - no danger of the 100hp being confused with a lesser model.

Long term, we'll have to see - my Rallyes paintwork, mechanics and general reliability has been very good - its still running on its original clutch and exhaust and its just reached 120k - it is due for a cam belt change. I hope Fiats commitment to rustproofing, improved reliability and build quality should help the cars survival rates when the first 100hp filter onto the sub-£3000 market. The 106 Rallyes image has largely survived, unlike the Saxo VTR/VTS which has fallen to the chavy like ownership profile - shame really those VTR's/VTS's are virtually identical to the Rallye but cheaper.

....the panda is a great looking car, particularly in 4x4 and 100hp guise but in my old fashioned head sports cars look better with less doors.....

I agree....

PandaWIP6.jpg

(y)

Regarding differences of 500 and 100hp:

The 500 has got a cam variator, which the 100hp doesn't have currently.

The ECU between the 2 cars are similar but not exactly the same.

Back