Technical 1000 revs at idle surely thats not right

Currently reading:
Technical 1000 revs at idle surely thats not right

Hey recently when cold when i turn my engine on it ticks over at just over 1000 revs and then even when it totally idles it only drops to 1000. When the engine is warm its still got a tick over of just under 1000. Whats going on? The other day my car drove its self in first without stalling and i had my foot totally of the accelerator.

Hey recently when cold when i turn my engine on it ticks over at just over 1000 revs and then even when it totally idles it only drops to 1000. When the engine is warm its still got a tick over of just under 1000. Whats going on? The other day my car drove its self in first without stalling and i had my foot totally of the accelerator.

Mine idle's at 750rpm, but sounds normal, when warm if it drops to just under......

and yeah, u can drive in first without stalling, with your foot totaly of the accelerator. It's perfectly normal.... :)

where is the idle control valve, can anyone post pic?.

How do you clean it?, mines is around 900 revs when starting. Like to sit foot on accelerator at about 1500 revs untill engine is fairly warm.

my mk2b 8v kinda judders when going down hill with my foot off the accelerator, when cold. Its worse the nearer to a service it is. . ..

By judder i mean instead of going down the hill at a steady speed it speeds up n slows down in quick succession (like the ec cant decide whether to inject fuel or not)

My idle sticks at around 1200 rpm when cold (i.e. choke) although this time of year it tends to start and run fine straight from cold and idles normal at around 800rpm

e.g. of a typical uncleaned TB causing an idle problem:

Figure9.jpg

The ICV tract is the smaller section. The TB is easy to remove - 3 torx head bolts and 3 allen head bolts.

They get gunked up within 4-6 months and need cleaned regularly. Do it when you service the car.

Just follow the air filter/induction kit tubing it will be under that. On the 8v its under the big air filter box

Do you have a further away pic so i can really see were it is?

there's a decent guide on puntomk2 for 8v and 16v, but you need to be a member to see it.

On your car (sporting?):

bay001-1.jpg

The throttle body is under those two plugs.

- Take off air box.
- Unplug negative from battery
- Take off those two plugs.
- Take off the box under those plugs (the ecu) 4x 10mm bolts
- Unscrew the throttle body. Think they are like t40-45 torx screws
- Clean with brake/carb cleaner

That's a quick guide off the top of my head :)

Last edited:
Back