Technical 1.9jtd 120bhp 102k - rear crank seal replaced at 88k - should front one be replaced even if not leaking?

Currently reading:
Technical 1.9jtd 120bhp 102k - rear crank seal replaced at 88k - should front one be replaced even if not leaking?

trekkingnut

Hi, Just got a Doblo camper with 1.9JTD engine and 102k on clock. The rear crank seal was replaced at 88k and I am wondering if the front seal should be replaced when the belt is replaced or not as the belt is overdue (last replaced in Nov 2016 at 72k).

Any advice appreciated as on the one hand do not want to cause more problems replacing a seal if it is ok. Should oil be 10w/40 or 5w/40 C3 oil by the way?

thanks

Hi, Just got a Doblo camper with 1.9JTD engine and 102k on clock. The rear crank seal was replaced at 88k and I am wondering if the front seal should be replaced when the belt is replaced or not as the belt is overdue (last replaced in Nov 2016 at 72k).

Any advice appreciated as on the one hand do not want to cause more problems replacing a seal if it is ok. Should oil be 10w/40 or 5w/40 C3 oil by the way?

thanks
Going through your list,.
The pink antifreeze crystals I have seen on many vehicles due to the "creeping "properties of that type of antifreeze, so as long as the fittings are secure, no loss of coolant and in reasonable order I would tend to leave.
C3 oil/low ash oil is advised for vehicles with DPF etc to help slightly with reducing ash build up, in my opinion using that and regular oil and filter changes are the best protection given that you have to have DPFs, the type of driving journeys you do will probably affect it also as well as the general condition of the engine. I always use engine flush to try and keep my engines internally clean ,however not all agree with me on that practice on some modern engines, particularly those with variable valve timing and extra internal filters where dislodging dirt can cause other problems. Short journeys not allowing engine to reach correct working temperature and self clean is probably the main issue with modern diesel design.
Re the oil seal change when doing cam belt, if when dismantling there is any sign of a leak or even slight seepage I would change it as easiest time to do it , having said that, "if it ain't broke don't fix it" , so your choice;).

Hi, Thanks for reply - pretty much how I was thinking re oil seal and nice to confirm re C3/low ash
DSC_0466.JPG
as handbook does not even mention it. Took a pic of the thermostat housing after charging battery (which was how I noticed it). Not driven the vehicle yet since getting it as too concerned about cambelt being overdue by 18 months - probably over cautious but driving to garage will be the only trip till all done.
Going through your list,.
The pink antifreeze crystals I have seen on many vehicles due to the "creeping "properties of that type of antifreeze, so as long as the fittings are secure, no loss of coolant and in reasonable order I would tend to leave.
C3 oil/low ash oil is advised for vehicles with DPF etc to help slightly with reducing ash build up, in my opinion using that and regular oil and filter changes are the best protection given that you have to have DPFs, the type of driving journeys you do will probably affect it also as well as the general condition of the engine. I always use engine flush to try and keep my engines internally clean ,however not all agree with me on that practice on some modern engines, particularly those with variable valve timing and extra internal filters where dislodging dirt can cause other problems. Short journeys not allowing engine to reach correct working temperature and self clean is probably the main issue with modern diesel design.
Re the oil seal change when doing cam belt, if when dismantling there is any sign of a leak or even slight seepage I would change it as easiest time to do it , having said that, "if it ain't broke don't fix it" , so your choice;).

Hi, Thanks for reply - pretty much how I was thinking re oil seal and nice to confirm re C3/low ashView attachment 422519 as handbook does not even mention it. Took a pic of the thermostat housing after charging battery (which was how I noticed it). Not driven the vehicle yet since getting it as too concerned about cambelt being overdue by 18 months - probably over cautious but driving to garage will be the only trip till all done.
Just to update on situation, crank seal was dry so left it alone - cambelt was in very good nick still but apparently was a tooth out on the timing set up not that it has made any difference but probably a subtle one. Comment about coolant weep from l/h side cylinder head but unable to find out so far exactly what they meant as communication has been dire with the garage (bill was over £1100 so expected better communication). I have not been able to see any evidence of a leak so far using endescope. perhaps egr cooler is/was leaking?

Just to update on situation, crank seal was dry so left it alone - cambelt was in very good nick still but apparently was a tooth out on the timing set up not that it has made any difference but probably a subtle one. Comment about coolant weep from l/h side cylinder head but unable to find out so far exactly what they meant as communication has been dire with the garage (bill was over £1100 so expected better communication). I have not been able to see any evidence of a leak so far using endescope. perhaps egr cooler is/was leaking?
Ouch! If that was basically for just a cam belt job it may be time to check out other garages, especially with the after sales service.:(

He did moan and swear about doing it which was very unprofessional and charged £150 on top of the original `estimate` for cambelt. They made sure it says `estimate` all over the `quote` as there is a legal difference! It did include a service with all filters, gear oil change and front brake fluid replacement (that`s what it said as rear hubs and bleed nipples rusted and seized). Don`t see how you can replace just the front fluid - bleed from front yes but not just replace front. Hubs and bearings needed due to corroded wheel threads and disc screw rusted off so probably new brakes all round but will get done elsewhere!

Had a scare earlier getting fuel as saw water pouring underneath car but upon inspection it is a drain outlet for the aircon I would say as water was clean and cold. bottom passenger side. coolant level ok after a drive and topping it up myself as it was almost empty after belt change because they failed to replace the coolant (which WAS in original `estimate`. Luckily I have top up water and paraflu (not a virus)

He did moan and swear about doing it which was very unprofessional and charged £150 on top of the original `estimate` for cambelt. They made sure it says `estimate` all over the `quote` as there is a legal difference! It did include a service with all filters, gear oil change and front brake fluid replacement (that`s what it said as rear hubs and bleed nipples rusted and seized). Don`t see how you can replace just the front fluid - bleed from front yes but not just replace front. Hubs and bearings needed due to corroded wheel threads and disc screw rusted off so probably new brakes all round but will get done elsewhere!

Had a scare earlier getting fuel as saw water pouring underneath car but upon inspection it is a drain outlet for the aircon I would say as water was clean and cold. bottom passenger side. coolant level ok after a drive and topping it up myself as it was almost empty after belt change because they failed to replace the coolant (which WAS in original `estimate`. Luckily I have top up water and paraflu (not a virus)
Doesn't sound like you got much for your money! They clearly are not looking for repeat business.
Try and speak to friends in your area about a good garage.
Bit concerned about the rusty stuff and also loss of coolant, keep an eye on it!

So far not seen anything leaking. Coolant level ok since I topped it up but as you say time will tell. I am going to post a new thread regarding the cambelt as he made a big deal about the belt being a tooth out and took more photos than David Bailey so have a couple of old belt. I cant say I noticed anything different after belt replaced anyway and vehicle done over 30k like it!

Back