General 1.2 Pop fuel tank fill issue?

Currently reading:
General 1.2 Pop fuel tank fill issue?

I have an 500 Pop 1.2 2020, when I have filled up my tank to the top, petrol splash out of the hole, but I have noticed the petrol level in the hole slow go down due to a lot of air traps inside the tank which it releases air, but it took me a while to brim 20 times to complete 100% full it took me like 10 minutes (5 litres) trying to get full top up. Is this normal? It makes me think the air line from the fuel tank may trap air through the line?

The 500 fuel system is designed to operate with a significant air space (around 5-6 litres) and under no circumstances should you ever try to fill it beyond the second cutoff of an automatic fuel pump. The car's handbook contains a clear and specific warning against doing this.

Attempting to dribble fuel into the tank after the pump's automatic cutoff can cause permanent damage to fuel system components, particularly the EVAP canister. These components are eye-wateringly expensive; the repair bill will be thousands, not hundreds, and almost certainly won't be covered by any kind of vehicle warranty.

There have been a few EVAP failures reported here; believe me when I say it's somewhere you don't want to go.

Maximum fuel capacity is 35 litres; if you manage to get more than this in from running on fumes, you've overfilled it. If you refuel when the low fuel warning light first illuminates, you should get around 27-28 litres in before the dispensing pump cuts off.

Unfortunately this 'feature' does make it hard to get an accurate true mpg figure between any two tankfuls - but if you average over ten tankfuls, it'll be close to what the car is actually doing.

If you absolutely must have more range, carry a container of fuel.

Last edited:
The 500 fuel system is designed to operate with a significant air space (around 5-6 litres) and under no circumstances should you ever try to fill it beyond the second cutoff of an automatic fuel pump. The car's handbook contains a clear and specific warning against doing this.

Attempting to dribble fuel into the tank after the pump's automatic cutoff can cause permanent damage to fuel system components, particularly the EVAP canister. These components are eye-wateringly expensive; the repair bill will be thousands, not hundreds, and almost certainly won't be covered by any kind of vehicle warranty.

There have been a few EVAP failures reported here; believe me when I say it's somewhere you don't want to go.

Maximum fuel capacity is 35 litres; if you manage to get more than this in from running on fumes, you've overfilled it. If you refuel when the low fuel warning light first illuminates, you should get around 27-28 litres in before the dispensing pump cuts off.

Unfortunately this 'feature' does make it hard to get an accurate true mpg figure between any two tankfuls - but if you average over ten tankfuls, it'll be close to what the car is actually doing.

If you absolutely must have more range, carry a container of fu
Panda evapouration cannister and solenoid bill was £650 and that with £200 reduction from the dealer applied! So I agree dont risk damage.......

to this useful kit fitted to enable cars to be clean as tested by the EU. Its good to know all the cars so fitted and tested were clean running and that the effective tests ensure manufacturer compliance....... All so well worthwhile.

You serious? I had a Citroën AX, Peugeot 306, Punto HGT and Peugeot 306 HDI I have filled up right to the top with no issue to the engine or solenoid! Fiat 500 must suck? Isn't 2 litres pipe down to the tank, it is round 5 litre waste of space of fuel as I only got gone round 250 miles range if I have brim 5 litres in I got 320 miles!

You serious?
Very.

I had a Citroën AX, Peugeot 306, Punto HGT and Peugeot 306 HDI I have filled up right to the top with no issue to the engine or solenoid!
We're not in Kansas anymore. Modern fuel systems are designed not to allow petrol vapour into the environment, and incorporate a charcoal filled evap canister and control valves to stop that happening. These parts will be ruined if immersed in fuel, which is what you risk doing by dribbling it in once the dispensing pump has shut off.

If this system is compromised, my understanding is it'll put enough warning lights on to fail an MOT.

Last edited:
Back