Technical 1.2 8v Punto Cam/Timing Belt Renewal, Looking for tips and help

Currently reading:
Technical 1.2 8v Punto Cam/Timing Belt Renewal, Looking for tips and help

What are they?

OK, on the inner cog (the one you can't remove) there is a little pip/nipple/sticky outy bit.

On the alternator pulley, the one on the outside that bolts to the inner one, there is a corresponding orifice/hole that must fit over said pip.

This aligns the ignition timing.

Cheers

SPD

Ah right, but where are the markings on the alternator pulley? Do i need the plugs out to turn that one? I just really can't find where this bottom one lines up to

To do the valve timing, you line up the mark on the bottom cam belt pulley with the mark on the oil pump.

Leave the alternator belt and pulley off until the cam is timed.

Cheers

SPD

theres a bit of metal near the oil pump which it lines up against (bottom pully) should face about 11 o clock

To time the top take out the spark plug in cylinder 1 and turn the engine untill the piston is at TDC (top dead center) the line on the top pully should be facing about 10 o clock.. put belt on put alternator pully on (will only go on 1 way properly) then put everything back together again

Right last question, where is it the triangle mark on the alternator pulley is supposed to point to? Also if the TDC sensor by the bottom pulley is broken will the car start? The plasic bit all broke. I've got the triangle mark and one flat edge on alternator pulley to work with as guides. Please please last attempt

Right last question, where is it the triangle mark on the alternator pulley is supposed to point to? Also if the TDC sensor by the bottom pulley is broken will the car start? The plasic bit all broke. I've got the triangle mark and one flat edge on alternator pulley to work with as guides. Please please last attempt

Its unlikely the car will start with the TDC sensor cracked, you're going to need a bew one.

Take the alternator pulley off.

Align the mark on the bottom cam belt 'cog' with the web on the oil pump at the 10 oclock position. If there is no web on the pump, put the mark at about 10 oclock.

The flat bit on the alternator pulley is the missing tooth that the crank sensor looks for, nothing to do with cam timing.

Cheers

SPD

take the alternator pulley off and look at it from reverse and see the little hole in the back it will line up with the nipple on the bottom pully once that is in place

We've been through that all afternoon! Its cam timing that seems to be the stumbling block at the moment.

I see a mental picture of a man, a Punto, a can of petrol and a match.

Cheers

SPD

humm things dont seem to be going to well on this belt change. I'm getting worried about mine now but i don't think i will let this put me off. It's going to certainly make me express super most caution though when doing mine!

It was nearly a man, a punto, and a baseball bat. But good news, She's running! Yay! The triangle notch missing on the alternator pulley points at 12'clock! Anyways time for a test drive!

humm things dont seem to be going to well on this belt change. I'm getting worried about mine now but i don't think i will let this put me off. It's going to certainly make me express super most caution though when doing mine!

It's easy enough, it's only when I tried to take the crankshaft spocket off that caused all this! You don't need to do that! Good luck when you do try. Btw the bolts on the lower engine mount take FOREVER to unscrew out

Excellent news dude! All these pulley this and pulley that gets confusing!

Ahh shamballs!! Started her up again and sounds bit like a knock! She starts though so is she 360 degrees out? or what! Argh i hate this damn thing! :cry: didn't dare drive her. Is it possible I've bent/dented the pistons?

Back