Technical 1.2 8v in an '02 Punto - cam belt tensioning.

Currently reading:
Technical 1.2 8v in an '02 Punto - cam belt tensioning.

boguing

Since I'm doing a belt change on a Panda 1.2 8v I thought I might as well do the Punto too.

At the moment I don't have the engine number or Haynes for the Punto to hand, so I'm assuming that it'll be much the same as the early Panda engine where the good book says tight so the belt can be twisted by ninety degrees, and then go to a Fiat dealer with your wallet open to have them check it. Luckily, there's an alternative on the Panda, ping the belt and measure the frequency on yer 'phone. The desired values are published.

Anyone know of a way to get around buying an expensive tool for the Punto?

(Same engine, different belts apparently, so it might be a bit risky to use the Panda's audio frequency on a Punto belt. Although my Physics head says they'll be made of the same stuff so need the same tension, and the straight belt lengths will be the same and it ought to work...).

Since I'm doing a belt change on a Panda 1.2 8v I thought I might as well do the Punto too.

At the moment I don't have the engine number or Haynes for the Punto to hand, so I'm assuming that it'll be much the same as the early Panda engine where the good book says tight so the belt can be twisted by ninety degrees, and then go to a Fiat dealer with your wallet open to have them check it. Luckily, there's an alternative on the Panda, ping the belt and measure the frequency on yer 'phone. The desired values are published.

Anyone know of a way to get around buying an expensive tool for the Punto?

(Same engine, different belts apparently, so it might be a bit risky to use the Panda's audio frequency on a Punto belt. Although my Physics head says they'll be made of the same stuff so need the same tension, and the straight belt lengths will be the same and it ought to work...).
These cars use a spring tensioner. You just have to set the tensioner to the marked position on the tensioner. You can struggle through setting the tensioner with strong circlip pliers but it is much easier with the correct tool which has two thin short rods at the end of a flat bar that fit into the two holes on the tensioner. In the past people on the forum have been willing to drive to your house to let you use this tool! Additionally the 8V engine is not an interference engine so messing up the valve timing is not going to destroy your engine if done incorrectly.

These cars use a spring tensioner. You just have to set the tensioner to the marked position on the tensioner. You can struggle through setting the tensioner with strong circlip pliers but it is much easier with the correct tool which has two thin short rods at the end of a flat bar that fit into the two holes on the tensioner. In the past people on the forum have been willing to drive to your house to let you use this tool! Additionally the 8V engine is not an interference engine so messing up the valve timing is not going to destroy your engine if done incorrectly.
Thanks very much - I actually ordered the tool yesterday, but hadn't realised that it was a sprung tensioner. Very civilised.

Thanks again.

2002 Punto should have old type tensioner but you can use the newer spring tensioner as well which I always do, no more tension guessing

That's very helpful indeed, thanks!

(Although I probably shouldn't have watched all the video, it's got me thinking I should just change both engines for more horses).

Have a look on eBay for your car, tools to set up the timing on these cars are not expensive at all
Got the two pin one for the Panda and I think it would be an insult to the Chinese to say it's made of chinesium. If it does the job I'll be a bit amazed - if it doesn't I'll have measured it so that I can make another...

Back