General FOUND!!! Missing Abarth X1/9 Prototipo Serial Number #: 23005

Currently reading:
General FOUND!!! Missing Abarth X1/9 Prototipo Serial Number #: 23005

DjPatD

Hey Guys, good news for the Fiat Community. I found out that an elderly man located in New Jersey, has the last of the missing Fiat Abarth X1/9 Prototipo Serial Number 23005. He has told me that this car was imported from japan many years back, and that he never had installed a motor in it. It has been sitting for over 20+ years. Apparently i dont think that he knows exaclty how RARE this car really is. I made him my offer, and i will keep you guys updated. I was unable to get a picture of what it looks like, but here is a pic of one of the other 4 still known to be in existence.

Attachments

• Stradale6k.jpg
    Stradale6k.jpg
    35.9 KB · Views: 144
They are worth what you are willing to pay for them. Given that there are only really 5 (I think) plus 1 road car (belonging to the recently deceased Al Constantino RIP) the price is not going to be cheap. The "spare" car is of limited value as it doesn't have a motor.

However to try and answer the question - A genuine Dallara can typically be purchased for between E60,000 and E90,000 (based on adverts that I've seen), the availability of such cars is much higher and are not regarded so much as collectors items but more working race cars.

On that basis I would expect a Prototipo to change hands for at least twice that, possibly as much as five times. The problem is that they *never* change hands and if it were to happen it is a rare day that it would happen publically.

As I said though, it depends on the buyer and the seller...

Any news on this - Was it one of the race cars or one of the Stradales?

Incidentally, I think your estimate of value is way off - you see high advertised prices, but most doesnt actually sell at those prices - You could have bought the most successful 037 ever (San Remo and New Zealand 83 winner) for around 200k earlier this year, and that is certainly more than twice the car a Prototipo will ever be.

Having had the delight of babysitting a certain 037 at Castle Combe some years ago I know exactly what you mean. The estimates are just that though - no-one really knows what these cars will change hands for because they never do. The one and only Prototipo Stradale is likely to change hands soon if it hasn't already done so and is likely to set the benchmark.

The other cars are likewise an enigma. With the current climate favouring highly collectible cars as investments it is incredibly hard to judge but I would still expect them to change hands for about 100,000 euro mark and no less than 50,000 euros. With the right buyer looking for a car who knows.

Back