Technical Xenon Headlights Problem.

Currently reading:
Technical Xenon Headlights Problem.

Jacquelyn

Hello,
I'm new to forums and I fear I shall struggle to find my way around so forgive me.
I have a 2013 Fiat 500c which has Xenon headlights.
In the last few days, they have failed to self-level (blink) when I start the engine.
I suspect that something has gone wrong with the self levling mechanism rather than the bulbs, but the latter is not impossible.
I have a wonderful old-fashioned proper garage who looks after my car, but as with anyone of great repute, they're usually rather busy and a two week wait is quite normal.
Is there anything I can check in the meantime?
There are no dash messages or warnings showing.
Thank you for your patience.

Thank you John. I understand the Xenon lights were factory fitted as an option when the car was new.
They are a worthwhile option my bet is the sensor though this needs to be confirmed as a brand new one could be £150+, there maybe ones on Ebay try club 500 itallia?

I suppose there are little motors in the headlights. Isn't it possible they fried when frozen stuck?

It's possible, though I'd like to think whoever designed the system built in some sort of current protection.

Sometimes, but not always, frozen stuff magically starts working again once it thaws out.

The Panda hatch wouldn't latch one morning this week, but I just moved it so that the sun was on the hatch, and by mid afternoon, it was working fine again. It had been -10C the night before.

I certainly hope there isn't anything wrong with the headlamp unit itself; replacements are staggeringly expensive. Xenon headlights do give a performance advantage, but if they go wrong, they can do serious damage to your wallet/purse.

But the motors usually can be replaced (done 1 on my Stilo years ago) and are not expensive. They are probably the same sevomotors as in the normal Halogen lights.
My Abarth has the Xenons and yes they do swing up and down when the car is started. It also has a second washerbottle in front of the battery.

gr J

But the motors usually can be replaced (done 1 on my Stilo years ago) and are not expensive. They are probably the same sevomotors as in the normal Halogen lights.
My Abarth has the Xenons and yes they do swing up and down when the car is started. It also has a second washerbottle in front of the battery.

gr J
Mine behave the same as your Aberth. Took me ages to work out why I had 2 washer bottles when I bought the car.

Back