Technical X244 Ducato Injectors Need Coding?

Currently reading:
Technical X244 Ducato Injectors Need Coding?

SEAN61

I have a 2005 Ducato 2.8JTD motorhome. It has recently started going into limp mode and showing EML when accelerating up hills. If I drop back to a lower gear and go easy on the accelerator, the light usually goes out again and normal driving resumed. The light is now coming on more frequently though, and staying on for the remainder of the journey, even though performance doesn't seem to be affected when not on a hill or under heavy load.

I installed multiecuscan and have it working. There were 3x codes initially, I think 2x were related to boost issues and another was P0202 for the #2 injector fault. I should have written down the other codes but forgot. After resetting, I went for a run up a long hill but EML didn't light up and I didn't lose power, which is unusual as it always does it on this hill. Anyway, the light did come back on later while the engine was not under load at about 2k RPM and it's only the injector fault that's recurring for now.

I carried out a leak back test and didn't see any major difference with #2 injector although #3 did seem to leak back more than the others. I removed both the #2 and #3 injectors and plan to switch them around and see if the code stays at #2 or changes to #3. Do these injectors need to be coded? I don't get any trim readings in multiecuscan. I'm not sure if this is because its a free version or if this option isn't available on my engine?

The free copy of multiecuscan will not code the injectors. It is intended to be limited. If you swap injectors it should still work without recodeing but for short term only, long enough to see code move or not.
I find MES is well worth the cost, for what you get, including a year of free updates. After a year it continues to be usable.

The free copy of multiecuscan will not code the injectors. It is intended to be limited. If you swap injectors it should still work without recodeing but for short term only, long enough to see code move or not.
I find MES is well worth the cost, for what you get, including a year of free updates. After a year it continues to be usable.
I agree, I haven't needed any form of diagnostics software since I owned a BMW years ago so I had forgotten how useful they are. I will definitely be purchasing the full version but was just curious as to whether the injectors will need coding or not. Is the injector trim parameter also only available on the full version? No values show up when I select the function in the parameters

for a Bosch edc15c7 ecu on a x244 2.8jtd using the simulate mode i can find no injector trim parameter in either parameters or adjustments. There are a number of parameters relating to injectors including injector correction. (a different name?)
I thought injector correction was just the name for injector trim in the software. This is the parameter I was trying to read but no values show up. I can read parameters such as pilot fuel quantity and total fuel quantity but nothing specific to individual injectors. Maybe this is only available on the paid version but it would be useful in diagnosing issues on the fuel system

From eLearn for the x244 2.8jtd. Seems to answer the question.

To improve the operation of the engine and guarantee the emission limits, an injector classification criterion has been introduced. If the injectors are replaced the following must be taken into account:
The Bosch number and class to which it belongs (1, 2, 3 or 2C inside a rim), which is determined according to the amount of fuel injected into the "emission" control point, is etched, by laser, on each injector on the top part of the magnet.
If an injector is being replaced, a new injector of the same grade must be fitted.

From eLearn for the x244 2.8jtd. Seems to answer the question.

To improve the operation of the engine and guarantee the emission limits, an injector classification criterion has been introduced. If the injectors are replaced the following must be taken into account:
The Bosch number and class to which it belongs (1, 2, 3 or 2C inside a rim), which is determined according to the amount of fuel injected into the "emission" control point, is etched, by laser, on each injector on the top part of the magnet.
If an injector is being replaced, a new injector of the same grade must be fitted.
I did notice this earlier. Would you interpret this as being the method they use to balance the injectors rather than coding? Funny thing is, the only number I see surrounded by a rim on my injectors is "015" as shown below

Attachments

• IMG_20230506_150849.jpg
    IMG_20230506_150849.jpg
    419.9 KB · Views: 50
I have not had the need to remove the injectors from my 2.8jtd, but yes that is my interpretation. Perhaps the initial injector coding is on EPROM, and hence not cannot be changed electrically.

Back