Technical Won't start from the key,

Currently reading:
Technical Won't start from the key,

Andykerr

Hi I have a fiat Ducato 2.3 multijet based motorhome, 2010, It started having issues where it wouldn't start, new starter fitted result ok for a while, then same again, second new starter fitted, worked for a little while, the interesting thing is if I supply voltage to the trigger wire on the actual starter it starts brilliant and will start from the key for a little while, it's getting a pain to keep climbing underneath to start the van after being parked up. Any help wod be greatly appreciated.

Apologies if you've already checked this, but the 'classic' advice for this fault is to check earth continuity from starter motor back to battery. (the usual issue on the X250 is the earth link from the top of the gearbox to the side rails)

As you're used to crawling underneath an easy check will be to use a jump lead from starter casing to battery negative.

(I'm making the assumption that the no-start is down to the starter motor not turning over)

Apologies if you've already checked this, but the 'classic' advice for this fault is to check earth continuity from starter motor back to battery. (the usual issue on the X250 is the earth link from the top of the gearbox to the side rails)

As you're used to crawling underneath an easy check will be to use a jump lead from starter casing to battery negative.

(I'm making the assumption that the no-start is down to the starter motor not turning over)
Hi thanks for that but I have already fitted a new earth lead (very large one) the thing that's strange is if I put power to the "signal" point on the starter it spins up perfectly with loads of speed etc, then the key start will work for a short time, it's an odd fault which is driving me mad 🙄

Hi thanks for that but I have already fitted a new earth lead (very large one) the thing that's strange is if I put power to the "signal" point on the starter it spins up perfectly with loads of speed etc, then the key start will work for a short time, it's an odd fault which is driving me mad 🙄
I'm reminded of an odd non-starting issue that I had on a classic (with an old fashioned starter solenoid) some years ago.

To cut a long story short, drawing about 10 amps through a 'dirty' connection on the solenoid 'cleaned it up' sufficiently to then be able to pass the ?00 amps for the starter motor.

As you've fairly well eliminated the motor as a cause my money would be on a poor connection somewhere (possibly even within the ignition barrel?)

Hi Andykerr

I attach a schematic of the starter motor wiring. From your description, it would seem that the Starter motor itself, and its main feed and return (earth) cables are all OK. I am suspicious therefore that you have an intermittent/high resistance junction somewhere along the feed line from the ignition key switch to the starter solenoid. The solenoid demands a reasonably high current, so any shortcomings will soon make themselves known. Likely points are any joints at the wire ends, or the 20 pin connector of the Front/Engine coupling D004. Another possibility is the ignition switch itself, they have been known to fail. I believe you can change just the end mounted switch part without altering the lock barrel above.

You could rig up an independent start button to bypass the ignition switch, just to prove a point. A switch rated at say 20 Amps would suit.

Attachments

• X250 Starting and Recharging.jpg
    X250 Starting and Recharging.jpg
    122.7 KB · Views: 142
  • X250 Wiring Components D004.jpg
    X250 Wiring Components D004.jpg
    89.3 KB · Views: 148
Hi,

disturbing the trigger wire at starter appears to improve the situation for a while. Possible problem with the connector on the trigger wire or where the trigger wire joins the connector/ internal break in trigger wire near starter motor.

Possibly problem with the connector on the starter motor itself?

Good luck

Thank you for all the information, I will give all the wire endings a good clean, also I will have the battery checked professionally just to eliminate dead cells for example, I will post any thing that comes up later maybe help someone else with same problem 👍👍

Back