Technical 1990 petrol Ducato camper won't start.

Currently reading:
Technical 1990 petrol Ducato camper won't start.

Numbnuts

Hi all. My 1990 Ducato camper has stood idle for months, though I start it now and then. I tried starting it recently after charging the battery up. It was turning over for a while, though not starting. I left it for a minute, turned the key again...nothing. dash lights are comingbon but its not turning over. I have it on trickle charge and the needle on the charger indicates fully charged, but am still having the same issue. It's a 1.9 petrol. Any advice would be appreciated. Cheers all.

Hi all. My 1990 Ducato camper has stood idle for months, though I start it now and then. I tried starting it recently after charging the battery up. It was turning over for a while, though not starting. I left it for a minute, turned the key again...nothing. dash lights are comingbon but its not turning over. I have it on trickle charge and the needle on the charger indicates fully charged, but am still having the same issue. It's a 1.9 petrol. Any advice would be appreciated. Cheers all.
First with engine switched off, can you safely turn engine over by hand several revolutions, just to ensure all free.
Next is the starter making any noise like it is trying to work?
Next have you tried jump starting it from a known good battery as it is not unknown for a battery to show fully charged/ not accepting further charge on a battery charger because it is duff.
If all good then I would check for any battery leads making poor connection.
If all that is good I would try safely to power up the starter direct to ensure no fault in starter it's self.

A failing battery is the most likely.. 🤔

My old Ducato got driven right through the winters to keep it all moving.. One Spring day.. Loaded it all up for a trip... Nothing.. Battery had just quit 😔

DO try jumpleads from a running vehicle though!.. As a decent battery will be @£100, you don't want to depend that in error 😒

Gulp. 🫣 I haven't started mine for a couple of years... I know the batterys flat... perhaps I should run it more often, although it in parked indoors all year round.

I agree with the peeps above, if you haven't run it for months, you really need a fully charged battery, to give it half a chance.
I hate to state the obvious, but have you got plenty of fuel in it?
Do the fascia lights go completely out when you try to start it, or just dim?

Hi guys. I tried the ignition again after the trickle charger had been on a few hours. It turns over fine but the battery packed in before it fired up. A big relief to know its just the battery.

Back