Technical Won't start after oil change??

Currently reading:
Technical Won't start after oil change??

vining

Hey there.

Odd predicament. Curious if anyone has thoughts.

1972 500L, and I just did a routine oil change:
1. Started it up, no problem, let it run for a few minutes.
2. Changed oil, which was routine.
3. Attempted to restart... ignition light comes on, electrical all works, but when I pull the starter absolutely nothing happens. No sound, no click, no whirr, nothing.

I swear, all I did was change the oil. Didn't touch anything else. I've not had this happen before.
Where should I start troubleshooting?
Thanks.

The starter motor has a permanent battery connection. If you pull the starter lever the motor should turn, though it won't start because there will be no ignition.

If the starter motor doesn't turn, check the battery and earth are connected to the starter.

How new is the starter? At some point, you’ll use up the last of the starts in the brushes and it’ll behave like that. Mine did it recently and all of a sudden wouldn’t make a sound when trying to start. Pulled the starter after all the usual checks, swapped in newer brushes, and she fires right up.

How new is the starter? At some point, you’ll use up the last of the starts in the brushes and it’ll behave like that. Mine did it recently and all of a sudden wouldn’t make a sound when trying to start. Pulled the starter after all the usual checks, swapped in newer brushes, and she fires right up.
I suffered exactly the same scenario, embarresingly at a charity car-show! Luckily, a few members hadn't yet left so a good strong push and she fired up first 'bump'---was just VERY careful on the way home to make sure I didn't stall her. Starter out, overhauled it with new brushes and cleaned up commutator, re-fitted starter and she fired up straight away, and strangely, cranked faster

Well, logic certainly suggested that it's the starter. Just so weird that it gave up the ghost at the exact moment that I changed the oil. I *KNEW* I shouldn't have changed the oil! Ever! If it's running, touch nothing!

I'll work on the stupid starter.
I can find a replacement starter online, but haven't looked into getting parts to refit the existing starter. I'm new at this...best place to look??? (believe it or not, in the time I've had this car not much has gone wrong)

Attachments

• 316889_48.jpg
    316889_48.jpg
    217.4 KB · Views: 40
  • 316889_90.jpg
    316889_90.jpg
    323 KB · Views: 30
  • 316889_110.jpg
    316889_110.jpg
    482.5 KB · Views: 37
Last edited:
Well, logic certainly suggested that it's the starter. Just so weird that it gave up the ghost at the exact moment that I changed the oil. I *KNEW* I shouldn't have changed the oil! Ever! If it's running, touch nothing!

I'll work on the stupid starter.
I can find a replacement starter online, but haven't looked into getting parts to refit the existing starter. I'm new at this...best place to look??? (believe it or not, in the time I've had this car not much has gone wrong)
From experience, I have found that usually it is a dirty commutator and worn brushes that is the problem. Put the starter vertically in a vice, remove the brushes cover and then the brushes. With them out of the way it is easy to remove the end plate. Clean the commutator (and make sure the grooves are cleaned out. Get some new brushes ("Motobambino" holds them in stock)---try them in the brushes holders and make sure that they fit nicely and slide easily. I say this because some of the 'pattern' brushes are a bit of a tight fit! Refit the end plate and then the brushes and finally the brushes cover. Then, hold the starter horizimtally in a vice and remove the contacts-unit that sits on top of the starter---check that the copper contacts inside the unit are making good comtact and clean off any arcing marks. Refit the contacts-unit and try the starter with a 12 volt battery---the earth lead to the vice (if its metal--if not clip the earth lead from the battery to the starter) and positive lead to the stud that the current-supply cable bolts to. Make sure that the starter is FIRMLY held in the vice and move the starter-lever to engage the starter. With a bit of luck, the starter will work. (fingers-crossed!)

Hobbler,
That's a great walk-through. Thanks! I will enjoy the project. I just happen to have a big, heavy steel vice that is currently underemployed.

In the short term, I banged on it vigorously with a large wrench, and that got it moving! Nothing a little brute force can't negotiate.

Back