Technical Wishbone for stilo...

Currently reading:
Technical Wishbone for stilo...

Hi all,
I failed the nct yesterday due to a worn wishbone.Everything else was perfect.Stilo is 2003.

Problem is the part is cheaper in fiat than elsewhere in ireland from what i can find but is a lot less in uk.

Does it take long to change the wishbone and does anyone know the best place to get one.

they are €39 on ebay(€ quoted €184 from local main fiat dealer) but how good would these be?

Kind Regards,

Kieran

Job is easy peasy if you have the tools ..there are only three conection points..(y)

naread.exe

I would recommend that both wishbones be changed as the new one will be tighter compared to the other side and can give weird handling characteristics - also use new nuts and bolts and carry out wheel alignment afterwards.

Thanks for the replies,would it be 1 hour or so to change each side for a mechanic?2 hours total or longer?

Kind regards,

kieran

Thanks for the replies,would it be 1 hour or so to change each side for a mechanic?2 hours total or longer?

Kind regards,

kieran

For a garage ..less than that when you consider they have impact tools for removing stubborn bolts..that is of course if they didn't have the compulsory fag and tea breaks..;)

Check you can get the bolts. In our location I had to try 3 dealers to get them. They come in packs of ten and its seems the dealers only order when their packs are empty! Waiting for delivery of the bolts caused a delay in repairing mine.

Best place to get one from is fiat as there are 3 different bottom arms, if u go for pattern part it may not be the right one, the pattern part is listed as fits one fits all but it dont. The difference between the arms is the size of the bolt holes in the bushes and the camber.

I had to have mine change for the mot and found all this out after trying one of the pattern part arms. And going through a set of front tyres in 5,000 miles that the problem was the new arm.

Not sure what make it was, it was from a local motorfactor. I think the difference between the arms depends on which engine u have and the weight of it.

I'm sure the pattern parts will be fine on some models but not on others, but there is no way of knowing until u give one a try. But with the cost of an arm from fiat then i can understand why people would want to give a pattern part ago first, i did but in the end i cost me more than if i had gone straight to fiat.

you wont need new bolts or check wheel alignment to change a wishbone.

Some manufacturers use stretch bolts on suspension componants so its good practice to replace them every time.

Wheel alignment may be needed as the exact mounting position of the wishbones can affect the camber which if not checked and corrected can lead to abnormal tyre wear.

I've only been in this field for 13 years now so admittedly I dont know everything but still... :rolleyes:

how exactly can it put the wheel alignment out? sure enough on cars where the bolt holes are ob-long but stilos arnt.

It just can. It has been my experience that with the bolts loose you can alter the camber slightly before tightening them up in the final position.
It is good workmanship if when touching / replacing suspension componants that the wheel alignment be checked and corrected if needed.

But what do I know :rolleyes:

In theory yes, but in practice there seems to be a recognised element of adjustability, which especially effects tracking
Exactly so (y)

Even just a spring change will lead to changes to alignment.

Sometimes camber (which otherwise can't be adjusted) will be found to have changed slightly - although predicting which way it goes admittedly seems to be rather hit and miss.

I think that i will get it tracked just in case.
Will also try and get the bolts while i am at it just in case.Car has not cost me anything except a timing belt and a standard service in 3 trouble free years so i better look after it.

Thanks everyone for the info/help,i really appreciate it.

Kind Regards,

Kieran

Back