Technical Windscreen wipers jumping/catching

Currently reading:
Technical Windscreen wipers jumping/catching

Drozich

Hi there,

Fiat 500S 2017 - 1.2 with 60k miles

Drivers side wiper seems to jump/stick around a quarter of the way through its wipe cycle. It ends up stuck behind the smaller, passenger wiper. We've had one wiper snap recently/.

I have tried running the wipers one at a time (other one off the screen) and neither do this on their own.

I have also tried swapping the wiper blades with our other 500 (that doesn't have this issue) but this doesn't make any difference either, the fault is still there.

I tried cleaning the screen and blades with washing up liquid and running them with the soapy residue on the screen. When I did this there was still a slight jump but it didn't grab the screen and then get stuck behind the other wiper. Concern is that the issue will return and the car is our Daughter's who has only been driving a few weeks so it's not an ideal situation.

One thing to note is that I use a wash/wax that I buy from Euro Car Parts. Could this be depositing something onto the screen and making it 'grabby'?

Any help appreciated, as always.

Stevie

Hi there,

Fiat 500S 2017 - 1.2 with 60k miles

Drivers side wiper seems to jump/stick around a quarter of the way through its wipe cycle. It ends up stuck behind the smaller, passenger wiper. We've had one wiper snap recently/.

I have tried running the wipers one at a time (other one off the screen) and neither do this on their own.

I have also tried swapping the wiper blades with our other 500 (that doesn't have this issue) but this doesn't make any difference either, the fault is still there.

I tried cleaning the screen and blades with washing up liquid and running them with the soapy residue on the screen. When I did this there was still a slight jump but it didn't grab the screen and then get stuck behind the other wiper. Concern is that the issue will return and the car is our Daughter's who has only been driving a few weeks so it's not an ideal situation.

One thing to note is that I use a wash/wax that I buy from Euro Car Parts. Could this be depositing something onto the screen and making it 'grabby'?

Any help appreciated, as always.

Stevie
Also to note that the wipers are Bosch and were replaced on a few hundred miles ago (including the one that snapped).

Ive replied to posts about this..

Our 2018..similar mileage isnt much better (y)

500's have one short and one long blade : imbalanced

Pandas have 2 similar sized blades.. like most FIATs

This mismatch in a 500 stresses one side of the wiper mechanism

Lift both arms clear of the screen..

Passengers will have a couple of mm free movement in its natural arc

I bet the drivers has 5 times that..

So: its either loose on the splines.. or more likely.. the actual mechanism is worn

Search Wipex FIAT on ebay.. this was big business 15 years ago..
Mk2 punto

Panda 169 was fine..312 seems ok too

My 500 wipers feel bad.. so Im back in the panda for these 'rainydays'

Last edited:
Ours are suddenly very close to catching they are not normally and are Bosch I've had them on and off before.

I suspect they have slipped on the splines?

On the windscreen there are 3 small almost invisible dots that show the correct parked position check yours are sitting correctly when parked this could explain the issue especially if you tried to operate them frozen to the glass

Just an update on this. It seems the splines on the wiper arm are worn and the arm is slipping/moving.

Anyone know where I can get an arm from? Don't seem to be having much luck on Google as it always seems to bring up a rear arm. Euro Car Parts don't sell them. Ideally, I would prefer a new one.

Thanks,
Stevie

I checked ours and they are in the correct parked position, I might just move the parked position drivers up a cm or so, so it's less likely to catch?

For new arm probably dealer, might not be as expensive as you'd think let's us know, ah so shop4parts list it @ £44 but it's out of stock

Just an update on this. It seems the splines on the wiper arm are worn and the arm is slipping/moving.

Anyone know where I can get an arm from? Don't seem to be having much luck on Google as it always seems to bring up a rear arm. Euro Car Parts don't sell them. Ideally, I would prefer a new one.

Thanks,
Stevie

Breaker via Ebay potentially cheapest reliable option... as it will be a factory part.

Are you sure the spindles are not worn too ?

I think it 'could' be the windscreen itself as it a non-genuine part (not Pilkington).

I superglued the wiper arm in place a couple of weeks ago and it's still solid so can't have slipped on the splines.

The play in the linkage is not as bad as my own 500 and my car doesn't do it at all but my windscreen is a genuine one. If I run my fingers over the area that the wiper jumps there is a noticeable change in feel on the screen, possibly a bump.

My only other idea is to try using slightly shorter blades on either the driver or passenger side (or both), this should prevent them from being able to clash as they are now. There'll still be a judder but no more snapped wipers frightening my daughter to death!

Any opinions on the shorter wiper fix or non-gen screen would be welcomed.

Thanks again!

Stevie

It's worth pulling the linkage rods apart and having a look. It sounds like the rubber/plastic bush that connects the wiper motor linkage rods to the wiper arm spindle rod is chewed up and snagging. I would go with Post #3 above... buy new Wipex rods (they have new, nylon bushes) and replace the old ones.

If the wiper arm hole is worn out and is no longer tight enough to hold onto the wiper motor spindle, then buy a new one. I've never seen these worn out, so in theory a second-hand one ought to be okay. Similarly, if the spindle on the wiper arm is knackered, you'll have it apart now, so it's a good time to replace that as well, or instead. But I think it's the linkage rods..

Ralf S.

It's worth pulling the linkage rods apart and having a look. It sounds like the rubber/plastic bush that connects the wiper motor linkage rods to the wiper arm spindle rod is chewed up and snagging. I would go with Post #3 above... buy new Wipex rods (they have new, nylon bushes) and replace the old ones.

If the wiper arm hole is worn out and is no longer tight enough to hold onto the wiper motor spindle, then buy a new one. I've never seen these worn out, so in theory a second-hand one ought to be okay. Similarly, if the spindle on the wiper arm is knackered, you'll have it apart now, so it's a good time to replace that as well, or instead. But I think it's the linkage rods..

Ralf S.
I will have a look at it this weekend and feed back. I have bought some slightly shorter wipers to try but even if this works it would only be a temporary fix.

This is where they park now

Attachments

• 20230306_172919.jpg
    20230306_172919.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 57
Ours are suddenly very close to catching they are not normally and are Bosch I've had them on and off before.

On the windscreen there are 3 small almost invisible dots that show the correct parked position check yours are sitting correctly when parked this could explain the issue especially if you tried to operate them frozen to the glass
My Panda has a circle marking in the screen in the parked position. (About 10mm size) But even using this it takes a bit of luck as the wipers are VERY close at the entanglement position and a single spline out is enough to cause them to clash of over sweep onto the bodywork.. Obviously check twice you have the correct length for the car and havnt got a wrongun

Back