Windows 7 - Discuss.

Currently reading:
Windows 7 - Discuss.

Last edited:
If you don't have a .ac.uk address but are in school/college you can get it (and other discount software) from the software4students website. Vista is currently on it for under £50 so when Windows 7 is released its sure to be on there and at a similarly discounted price.

Been using it since RC1 came on MSDN. Just grabbed the RTM and popped it on my works laptop and from what i can see things just keep getting better.

Downloading the 32bit now with the hope i can get it on my Netbook easily and that ittl be as fast as XP. From what i've seen on this Lappy things are lookin good.

My girlfriend recently decided it would be a riot to fubar my laptop, nice girl she is too, so I decided to back-up, format c:/ and reinstall vista. But looking at MSDN at uni I saw a copy of Windows 7 available so I stuck that on instead.

First impressions are excellent, looks smoother, asks for permission a lot less and is a lot easier to customise. The flag tool is a nice option, tells you whats wrong and for once windows suggested fixes actually work. The taskbar is kept a lot cleaner.

I'm still having a little trouble with the graphics side of it though, however that might be because my card needs an updated driver. The windows experience thing that rates your computer gave me a 1 for both graphics ratings :( Whereas I was getting closer to 5 on vista.

My system is a HP laptop, dual core 2.27GHz processor with 4GB of ram (full spec here) so I don't see why it wouldn't run smoothly other than a driver issue.

Other than that I have no gripes with it at the moment (except the lack of built-in games), all the hardware / software I was using on Vista is compatible and the loading time from when I turn it on has decreased.

Kudos to Microsoft this time. Seems they get it right every other time. Win98 was awsome, 2000/me was a major fail, XP seemed ideal (and still does), Vista was too heavy and slow but with some good ideas and Windows 7 has hit the nail on the head again I think.

Anybody else using it, have an opinion on it or considering getting it?

good news,looks like its drivers issues in W7
in the living room i run a lifestyle sort of PC (got it half price ;)
so i tried to boot up red alert 3 and got an error but it ran on vista before so i know it would run.
it told me i didnt have directx 9(i do) or hardware acceleration
the PC has an nvidia 8400M GT
so i tried some hacked drivers but no good,then dug around sonys support and found the old Vista OEM driver.
fired it on and..........................

Before
experience.PNG

After
experience after.PNG

I won't be buying it. If it comes with some peice of kit I buy in the future, I'll probably keep it, play with it every so often. I don't really do games, so Linux has a nicer file system (doesn't fragment itself to buggery), better security, is faster and costs nowt.

Fragmentation and disk management is massively improved over XP and Vista (Not had a fragmented file yet!) I've found :)

Once you have it up and running how you like, take a look at this months issue of webuser magazine. It has an article of little tips and tricks.

Such as if you have a load of open but resized windows overlapping each other, you can grab the top bar of one and shake it with the mouse, it minimizes everything else on the screen except that window. Then shake it again o bring it back.

Also holding the windows key and pressing 1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8,9 or 0 opens the corresponding program pinned to that position on the taskbar.

So many cool tricks that are suprisingly useful rather than just being a novelty idea.

I am not fealing the love for windows 7 at the moment! It insisted on creating a gay arse partition of 100mb, then it was funny about how I partioned the free space, now I can't get audio drivers to install :bang::bang::cry:

and the interface blows the big one what a crock of ****e! I hate it so much I think XP MCE is going back on by the end of the week!

I am so not impressed I might install windows 2k just for the retro - oh look it works straight outta the box fealing :)

I am not fealing the love for windows 7 at the moment! It insisted on creating a gay arse partition of 100mb, then it was funny about how I partioned the free space, now I can't get audio drivers to install :bang::bang::cry:

and the interface blows the big one what a crock of ****e! I hate it so much I think XP MCE is going back on by the end of the week!

I am so not impressed I might install windows 2k just for the retro - oh look it works straight outta the box fealing :)

how did you mange that?

how did you mange that?

I had no choice - it just created it when ever I split my 250gb drive into smaller partitions it created a 100mb system partition - but that's the least of my worries, still can't get audio to install :cry: I've downloaded the latest driver from mobo manufacturer and ran windows updates etc

Can't re-install XP MCE as it needs the soddin SATA driver on a floppy and I dont have a floppy drive to hand :bang:(n)

I really really hate computers I used to love little problems like this now they just get in the way and **** me off.

I think I need to change career some times soon before I have a meltdown LOL!

Back