General Why so many mk1 Puntos?

Currently reading:
General Why so many mk1 Puntos?

More will start to disappear and die now with Scrappage scheme...

Yep thats what happens with all cars they bring better more " safer " cars out and the old just die off if not looked after its a shame really

I'm just "slightly" suspicious that scrappage traded cars need an MoT, I can see this will stop people buying a £50 banger and part x-ing it but really... who ensures the traded, MoT'd cars are scrapped... Could they be going out the back door to 3rd world countries for some lost revenue retrieval? Or am I just too suspicious.... :(

Yeah I see loads of mk1's usually rusty ones tbh, as here on the prom in blackpool, cars bodywork is severly challenged lol! i understand the mk1 wasn't galvanised the mk 2 was.

As for power steering, my mk2 has broken so i now believe power steering is for girls lolz

My mk1 appears to be galvanised. It has lost some paint at the door sills and the metal underneath has a characteristic zinc colour, and it has not rusted in 5 years.

I would normally agree with you about power steering is for girls, but my brother's girlfriend has drove a non-assisted mk1 Punto and an assisted Toyota Celica and she says the Punto's steering is far superior.

don't forget that millions of these things were sold in the uk. the punto really transformed fiat's fortunes in the uk.

a combination of "big-on-inside-but-small-on-outside" practicality helped. rear headroom was streets ahead of it's time.

the wheel on each corner design also gave reasonable handling - despite what purists say!

My mk1 appears to be galvanised. It has lost some paint at the door sills and the metal underneath has a characteristic zinc colour, and it has not rusted in 5 years.

indeed, galvanised body has stemmed the curse of arch / sill rot that can befall so many "cheap" cars.

the first to incorporate the upper rear lights, which was then followed and inherited by other car manufacturers.

not sure that's true. i seem to recall seeing the volvo 850 estate around '92 / '93 and always thought the punto followed suit - may be wrong though. either way, was certainly a radical design for a small hatch.

in 1997 i had a shortlist of 4/5 cars, but the sporting won through. love it so much i still have it, 130k miles later, though its now not moved in 3 years!

I think its just the lack of money...if you have the right money why would you fancy owning an mk1 ??? duhh :D lol

It is certainly not a lack of money that draws me to the mk1 Punto. I have spent £1000 this month in restoration work on my mk1, which would have easily bought me a mk2a. The appeal is the beautifully minimalist design with fully independent suspension. I cannot believe any car manufacturer dares to put a 'sport' badge on any car with torsion beam rear suspension; any less sophisticated and you would call it scaffolding.

i am 6 ft 3 with 12 1/2 feet. i still have room.
its good. the only probelm with pedals is that my left foot (clutch Control) catches on the clutch rest from time to time.

Mk2s are the same, im 6'4, size 12. couldnt fit in a saxo and other small things.

my girlfriends KA, not even worth attempting trying to sit in the drivers seat, not that i wanna even turn the ignition on in one of them:devil:

Have to agree with the majority of whats been said here! The mk1 Punto is certainly a brilliant little car. Its direct and raw handling makes it a pleasure to drive, really taught me a lot after I passed my test. Other then a few niggly things mines been a great first car, it looks better then most cars of the same age imo. Still seems to get a lot of stick from people (the usual fiat stuff, rustbucket, fix it again tommorow etc) which I cant really understand. Managed to convert a few people though including my sister whos eyeing up a punto as her first car :)

Although ive been looking for another car since April, theres something that makes me want to stick with it for a bit longer :)

Back