General Why so many mk1 Puntos?

Currently reading:
General Why so many mk1 Puntos?

Now that we are in 2009, it has been 10 years since production of the mk1 Punto ceased. This worried me since most manuafacturers cease part support after this time. However, when I look around, I still see an abundance of mk1 Puntos.

Actually, if I look around at cars on the road over 10 years old, the mk1 absolutely dominates all others. Why is this? Is this because the Punto was such a solid design that they are still going strong, or were there millions to start with?

I have to agree with you because round where i live manchester i see ALOT of punto mk1's there is 2 that lives near me and i see alot at the shops when i walk over there in 1 day i see around 5/6 while im out and about. People must still love them thats all i can say.

I am also in manc and I see loads! As said above though, they are never modded

To be honest, I can see why it is so popular. Most work required on a mk1 is possible by the home mechanic with little experience (me, although I am gradually getting more experienced). It is pretty lightweight and, as far as I know, one of very few superminis to have fully independent suspension.

Most importantly for me, there is plenty of headroom for me (6'2") and the pedals are well spaced for my size 12s.

And, in my particular model (55s) NO DAMN POWER STEERING! Knowing what the front wheels are actually doing means that I don't need ABS and traction control, thank you very much.

To be honest, I can see why it is so popular. Most work required on a mk1 is possible by the home mechanic with little experience (me, although I am gradually getting more experienced). It is pretty lightweight and, as far as I know, one of very few superminis to have fully independent suspension.

Most importantly for me, there is plenty of headroom for me (6'2") and the pedals are well spaced for my size 12s.

And, in my particular model (55s) NO DAMN POWER STEERING! Knowing what the front wheels are actually doing means that I don't need ABS and traction control, thank you very much.

speaking about no power steering i have none in mine either and its a 60 sx im not sure when they started doing the power steering

PS ive always liked the look of these cars from when i was growing up because there little and there is so much to do to them its just perfect for me and my family

Last edited:
Look at all the great little sports cars. Ultima GTR 720, Lotus Exige 260, Ariel Atom 3 300, Caterham Superlight R500; notice anything common? All have direct, muscle-powered steering to minimise weight and maximise driver feel.

I see more Mk2's around here than anything as well, but still Punto's are pretty popular, not many Sportings or GT's!

speaking about no power steering i have none in mine either and its a 60 sx im not sure when they started doing the power steering

PS ive always liked the look of these cars from when i was growing up because there little and there is so much to do to them its just perfect for me and my family
Me too!
I've always wanted a punto since I was in year 6 (7 years ago) because of the shape and I got talking to someone on msn back then who owned a bright yellow one. I remember using this weird photo app/program that we had to past a load of wheels on it like a tank and I showed him it! he found it funny.
Wow that was so long ago! Ever since that I wanted one

I feel you brother :) i'm 6ft 3 and size 13's, I tried to sit in a corsa but the seat wouldn't go back far enough and I couldn't fit my legs in lol, but the bonus of no power steering = ripped arms! lol

I see a reasonable amount of all mark Puntos, there's certainly more MK1's on the roads near me, mainly L, N, M, P, S and R reg's though. But equally, there's a vast amount of MK2's and MK2B's around me, and certainly a few GP's.

At the time when they were first built, they were a stylish looking car, and the first to incorporate the upper rear lights, which was then followed and inherited by other car manufacturers. So it certainly is a renowned and recognised car.

I think its just the lack of money...if you have the right money why would you fancy owning an mk1 ??? duhh :D lol

i am 6 ft 3 with 12 1/2 feet. i still have room.
its good. the only probelm with pedals is that my left foot (clutch Control) catches on the clutch rest from time to time.

i have a sporting and it has power steering but no abs.
my previous 60 sx had no power steering but was ligh, and tbh it doesnt make much difference.

theres loads around where i am i see at least 15 when i got for a 10/20 minute drive.
they are grroooovy baby .. in the words of austin powers. MAN:slayer::slayer:

Back