Technical Whirring Noise

Currently reading:
Technical Whirring Noise

Grande Punt0

Hi everyone

Hoping that you can help

When my car reaches about the 35mph a whirring noise starts to occur and is still there when the car is at 70 - 75 mph. The noise remains when the car is in neutral between these speeds and also when the clutch is down. I suspected it to be the front left wheel bearing so got it replaced to no avail. The garage have said that it may be my gearbox that is giving up, but is still operating smoothly. The noise gets a bit louder also when turning left. The noise has not got worse since it has started about 2 months ago.

Does anyone have any suggestions

Thanks Andrew

Hi everyone

Hoping that you can help

When my car reaches about the 35mph a whirring noise starts to occur and is still there when the car is at 70 - 75 mph. The noise remains when the car is in neutral between these speeds and also when the clutch is down. I suspected it to be the front left wheel bearing so got it replaced to no avail. The garage have said that it may be my gearbox that is giving up, but is still operating smoothly. The noise gets a bit louder also when turning left. The noise has not got worse since it has started about 2 months ago.

Does anyone have any suggestions

Thanks Andrew

What model is it? Read my other post gear box failure.

I recon you didnt change the right bearing, can be hard to tell which one it is.

I took mine in saying it was the near side rear bearing which turned out to be fine it was the drivers side that actually failed :rolleyes:

Thanks for the replys

Car is 1.9 multijet sporting

Will have to get other bearing looked at as well

Thanks again

Andrew

hi everyone

getting car back tomorrow, turns out it was the gearbox bearings. All bearings replaced and gearbox rebuilt, all for around £750

Thanks for all the advice

Andrew

Back