General Which horn to get?

Currently reading:
General Which horn to get?

I nearly died on Dartmoor last night - came round a corner sideways and there was a quarry lorry coming the other way - had to bail onto the grass, heading towards a load of sheep - think i hit one, but didnt do any damage - scared me ****less!!!

The sheep was ok! I wasnt going too fast - just the sidewaysness screwed me! Car is fine too - lucky boy! At this bit its just a normal 60 zone - and I dont think theres many walkers around at 10pm - shocked to find an arctic at that time!

The sheep was ok! I wasnt going too fast - just the sidewaysness screwed me! Car is fine too - lucky boy! At this bit its just a normal 60 zone - and I dont think theres many walkers around at 10pm - shocked to find an arctic at that time!

Glad your ok, but with all the recent weather its defo a better dea to take it easy! Stilo vs Arctic.....I think we all know what could have happened there!

We've all done daft things (I have) but it's a great relief when no harm is done and you're able to put down to experience (y)

Rather like the idea of this one. Is it a straight swap for the original horn in terms of bolting on and electrical connection, or are some modifications required?

It bolts on using the same hole of the original, and the 2 pin connector just needs cutting and 2x female connectors fitted in its place - all this is possible by taking the RH lower grille out. (y) On mine the positive is pink, other is obviously earth.

Rather like the idea of this one. Is it a straight swap for the original horn in terms of bolting on and electrical connection, or are some modifications required?

You have to wire it directly to the battery and then put a relay in... Its all provided and is fairly simple to do!

It bolts on using the same hole of the original, and the 2 pin connector just needs cutting and 2x female connectors fitted in its place - all this is possible by taking the RH lower grille out. (y) On mine the positive is pink, other is obviously earth.

Excuse the dumb question, but how easy is it to remove the lower grille? Does it just pull out, or are there fixings (to break!)?

Use something with a rounded edge so not to damage anything and gently pry at the top of the grille working round - the bottom is a bit fiddily, but just be patient.

Thanx Fiattech. Fitted a Stebel Nautilus today and am well pleased. Only slight concern is that using the original bracket meant the horn trumpets are pointing backwards towards the wheelarch liner which is vented and may let in road spray which will go straight into the horn! Couldn't mount it in the way indicated in the instructions. Did you find the same?

You could always get one of those filter chargers K&N use to make their filters water proof ..and come to think of it that would be of better use covering your horn than their crappy filters :p

Thanx Fiattech. Fitted a Stebel Nautilus today and am well pleased. Only slight concern is that using the original bracket meant the horn trumpets are pointing backwards towards the wheelarch liner which is vented and may let in road spray which will go straight into the horn! Couldn't mount it in the way indicated in the instructions. Did you find the same?

Yeah, it points to the rear but its not upward so not that much road spray will get in - had a look today at it whilst it was in the air for something else and there was not much in the way of anything around it - test of time will see though :D as i said before for under £30 its got excellent grin factor:devil:

Yeah, it points to the rear but its not upward so not that much road spray will get in - had a look today at it whilst it was in the air for something else and there was not much in the way of anything around it - test of time will see though :D as i said before for under £30 its got excellent grin factor:devil:

Too right! Took it through an under-motorway bridge and gave it a long blast. The twin-tone air note reminded me of a trip through tunnnels on the Italian autostrada. Love it! :D

You could always get one of those filter chargers K&N use to make their filters water proof ..and come to think of it that would be of better use covering your horn than their crappy filters :p

Thanks for the tip Phil. Fitted a K&N precharger over the horn today. Fits like a glove! Will keep it well protected from the elements. Cheers!

Old thread and all but...

For people who've got a Stebel Nautilus, did you get the full size version or the compact version? Only asking as my full size Stebel Nautilus arrived in the post this morning and er... erm... it's big! :D

Looking forward to fitting it, as long as it fits in the wheel arch that is! (y)

Back