General Whats the box under rear seat ?

Currently reading:
General Whats the box under rear seat ?

simtech76

hello, took out my rear seats today to help a friend move some things back home so needed more space. Under the rear seat I find a black box - is this the ecu ? and next to it a round plastic covering about 20cm across with a cable running into it - also curious as to what that is ? :)

hey i think the round thing your referring to is the top of the fuel tank if im not mistaken. not sure on the other thing tho

and the large black box with the 2 connection cables next to it ?

2 wiring harnesses rather than just 2 wires, look likes the obd type connections running into the box which is why i thought ecu. if looking in from the boot it is to the left of the fuel pump

Last edited:
This might be.. a black box.. which (i think) is a requirement now for legal reasons? (on all new vehicles) though i might be wrong (a common occurrence). From memory though.. neither the fuel pump nor the wiring is visible with seats removed (these are under the carpet..) apart for the black box (or 3rd party remote security/sat tracking) it can only be rear seat airbag related (but seeing as you didn’t say rear seats had to be unplugged from the box.. option number 1 is your answer)

This might be.. a black box.. which (i think) is a requirement now for legal reasons? (on all new vehicles) though i might be wrong (a common occurrence). From memory though.. neither the fuel pump nor the wiring is visible with seats removed (these are under the carpet..) apart for the black box (or 3rd party remote security/sat tracking) it can only be rear seat airbag related (but seeing as you didn’t say rear seats had to be unplugged from the box.. option number 1 is your answer)

No new PLG vehicles are fitted with trackers as standard, so is unlikly to be that.

yes (it is a paid service) but unless i'm wrong from 04 or 05? vehicles could be/are fitted with a black box (to record data like speed and deceleration etc. in case of an accident) last i heard they were planning a tracing system as well but this is yet to materialise (it’ll be very good for giving tickets see.. though i’m sure there won’t be many tickets issued due to reduced number of cars once we have a per mile charge on the roads.. perhaps that is why this won’t be done.. yet.. personally i’ll get a bike :) as of when the scheme comes into pay erm play)

yes (it is a paid service) but unless i'm wrong from 04 or 05? vehicles could be/are fitted with a black box (to record data like speed and deceleration etc. in case of an accident) last i heard they were planning a tracing system as well but this is yet to materialise (it’ll be very good for giving tickets see.. though i’m sure there won’t be many tickets issued due to reduced number of cars once we have a per mile charge on the roads.. perhaps that is why this won’t be done.. yet.. personally i’ll get a bike :) as of when the scheme comes into pay erm play)

Blackboxes to detect vehicle movment normally go in the dash area.

Did a wide search and you appear to be correct (as always) though i can’t be bothered to research this properly (as i know that my car does not have one fitted).

Puting such a device in the dash does not make much sense though a head on collision can wipe it out.. middle of the car is actually a safer position as is less likely to get damaged..This is off topic though.. now i am lost.. there shouldn't be anything there (unless it is an aftermarket modification.. like an MI5 tracker.. is op being tailed/monitored? Or a small amp for a big woofer int he boot..)

Last edited:
Norwich Union pay per mile insurance box perhaps?

They cancelled the trial of it a few years ago and I doubt they collected all the boxes back. There would need to be a GPS aerial somewhere though, or evidence of where one was.

Dave.

Norwich Union pay per mile insurance box perhaps?

They cancelled the trial of it a few years ago and I doubt they collected all the boxes back. There would need to be a GPS aerial somewhere though, or evidence of where one was.

Dave.

Would have been installed in dash/bulkhead

Puting such a device in the dash does not make much sense though a head on collision can wipe it out.. middle of the car is actually a safer position as is less likely to get damaged..

Bear in mind that they need to be mounted to detect X,Y & Z axis movement (X-left to right, Y-Front to rear, Z-top to bottom iirc), they need to be mounted above the floor so to speak to pick up body roll, and detect the differences in sensor readings for the axis.

Putting it under a seat for example will be in a place of low centre of gravilty (sp?) so the readings won't be that accurate. (y)

Thats my understanding of it anyways.

Jon.

Back