What's made you not grumpy but not smile either today?

Currently reading:
What's made you not grumpy but not smile either today?

The Tesla touch screen seems to be much lower.

Its not it from the drivers seat it sits just above the level of the dash.

Maybe they are going to fit a HUD.
They are not going to.

Tesla wants the future of cars to be self driving and for that reason having the speed shown on the windscreen will be pointless.

Attachments

• Model-3-Autopilot-1.jpg
    Model-3-Autopilot-1.jpg
    115.6 KB · Views: 26
Edit: apparently there is a very good reason for everything to be electronically controlled which makes perfect sense. however it is something which would likely put off some customers, currently they have something like 400,000 models 3 cars on back order with a lead time of 18+ months, so they are not worried about getting any more orders in at the moment and are trying to push people to wards the Model S which they can produce in 7 days.

Sorry, that makes little sense to me, did you lose the thread while typing that?
If there is a "very good reason for everything to be electronically controlled which makes perfect sense." What is it?
Surely that is not the reason why people would buy a Model S instead? Having to wait 18 months might.
Can you clarify please.

Sorry, that makes little sense to me, did you lose the thread while typing that?
If there is a "very good reason for everything to be electronically controlled which makes perfect sense." What is it?
Surely that is not the reason why people would buy a Model S instead? Having to wait 18 months might.
Can you clarify please.

The reason is that Tesla hope that in the not too distant future you will be allowed fully autonomous cars on the road.

The design of the model 3 is such that it lends its design heavily to being an autonomous Taxi.

You buy a model 3 and then when you are not using it you can tell it to go off an earn money for you. The car toodles off and you have it set up so that not only all your personal settings are stored for when you get it back, but also you can set what you want strangers do and don't have access to. Don't want them in the boot, you can lock them out. Don't want them in the glove box thats locked too. The car has interior cameras to monitor the occupants. The car comes with heavily uprated self driving hardware which just needs to be enabled when the time comes. Tesla argue that the car can go off and pay for its self in the occasions you're not using it.
it also means from a passenger perspective when you unlock the car with a smartphone the car will set up all your personal settings, even if its not your car (except the bits the owner has locked out)

So it goes back to the screen not really being important as you probably won't really need to look at it, and the car once set up won' need to much fiddling with.

It means now is the wrong time to buy a model 3 but it puts tesla leaps and bounds ahead of the competition when the time comes for autonomous cars.

I don’t like the idea of my car going off and leading a secret double life where other people can enjoy it the way I can as its owner ... any more than I’d like that for a wife [emoji6][emoji28] ... though when you phrase it as paying for itself? Sounds good ;)

“I did drive a Panda but it was much cheaper in the long run to just get a Tesla” now when I hear that, we will truly be in a new era friends [emoji848][emoji6]

We're still a long way away from true self drive.

Not to say that automating the bits that are basically follow the line and don't crash or fall asleep isn't possible but teslas are already killing people doing that. Once they start adding all the grey areas is the complication. An automated car is very possible, a car that you can leave to do it's own thing to the extent it can be let out on the public roads without a driver is a very different thing.

They are already attempting to crowd source a morality for self driving cars which raises the point that in certain circumstances they will be programmed to kill you as the least worst option. But also the sensors fitted to the cars would have to be good enough to recognise not just "obstruction" but "child" or "crowd".

Last edited:
We're still a long way away from true self drive.

Not to say that automating the bits that are basically follow the line and don't crash or fall asleep isn't possible but teslas are already killing people doing that.

I believe there have only been 3 - 4 deaths in tesla's cars where people have been using autopilot and then they have been given multiple warnings before the accident (with the exception of the semi truck that turned in the road in front of the car, confusing the sensors, leading to the accident"

Given there are something like 34,000 road deaths in the USA every years thats a fairly impressive record.

Obviously as more cars have the technology it will get safer, especially if the cars are able to talk to one another and know where all the adjacent cars around them are, their speeds and directions/route, it would more or less eliminate collisions.

It doesn't obviously stop accidents where people or animals walk out, but volvo have an impressive track record with their technology of being able to identify animals and people as well as crowds and assess if something is likely to enter the path of the car long before the driver would be able to make that decision.

The biggest set back was Uber who killed that lady a few weeks back because the software engineers had turned down the sensitivity of the system to make a more comfortable and smooth ride.

Basically it was ignoring more hazards to prevent the car braking and accelerating as often, leading to it ignoring a woman crossing the road in full view of the sensors, that should have been much safer than the eyes of the driver.

I just hope that all autonomous cars have a big button that switches all that nonsense off. Let me drive my own car thanks.

I doubt it. You'll have to keep an old car for these occasions. The main point of self driving cars is that if all cars are self driving then there are no idiots behind the wheel to cause accidents, doing stupid things.

I believe there have only been 3 - 4 deaths in tesla's cars where people have been using autopilot and then they have been given multiple warnings before the accident (with the exception of the semi truck that turned in the road in front of the car, confusing the sensors, leading to the accident"

Given there are something like 34,000 road deaths in the USA every years thats a fairly impressive record.

Obviously as more cars have the technology it will get safer, especially if the cars are able to talk to one another and know where all the adjacent cars around them are, their speeds and directions/route, it would more or less eliminate collisions.

It doesn't obviously stop accidents where people or animals walk out, but volvo have an impressive track record with their technology of being able to identify animals and people as well as crowds and assess if something is likely to enter the path of the car long before the driver would be able to make that decision.

The biggest set back was Uber who killed that lady a few weeks back because the software engineers had turned down the sensitivity of the system to make a more comfortable and smooth ride.

Basically it was ignoring more hazards to prevent the car braking and accelerating as often, leading to it ignoring a woman crossing the road in full view of the sensors, that should have been much safer than the eyes of the driver.

The AI is going to the be the most complex bit, it's easy enough to follow a line and hold a speed and there's no reason a car can't do that. But if you have multiple companies doing their own self driving thing how are they going to interact with each other? Will they talk to each other? Will it require significant public works expenditure to redesign road furniture to make it autonomous vehicle friendly?

Think about the crap you deal with everyday, temporary road works..with either none functional lights or both lights stuck on red. Roads so pot holed the only way to avoid suspension damage is to treat it as a single track road, missing or defaced signs, contraflows where there's two sets of white lines at odds with each other. A certain road is likely to have a large puddle round a blind corner after heavy rain e.t.c.e.t.c.

Now you as a person can look at that situation and make a judgement despite never possibly being in that situation in that place before you can recognise it and deal without even a pause because humans are pretty good at that. Robots aren't they deal in absolutes they follow a program, they are not creative as such you could program them to recognise a set of parameters and react accordingly but what does it do outside of those?

I just hope that all autonomous cars have a big button that switches all that nonsense off. Let me drive my own car thanks.

no it will be worse, not only will you not be able to drive it but you will have to pay a fee to travel on less congested routes and at rush hours. rich people will be able to pay to drive and get to and from work at a decent time poor people will have to leave for work extra early and go home extra late using the cheaper travel times. this will be in about 30 to 40 years time.

Last edited:
Returning from a shopping trip, caught a 1985 VW camper as I exited a roundabout. Had to follow him 7 miles. Old engine, smelly exhaust, so kept my distance, had to tolerate being 'pushed' by following traffic.
In the back window of the VW was a sticker bearing the slogan, "VW forever". Judging by the rate of acceleration this related to journey times.

Yesterday followed a Tesco home delivery van for a while. Being the second car behind it I could only see the top half of the advertising. A picture of a young girl, 12 or thereabouts is my estimate, and a slogan, "As fresh as you'd pick yourself, or your money back".

I assume the girl is eating fruit, as vegetables don't really work in that context, but without being able to actually see whether she is eating anything, it seems a strange message. Are they selling fruit, vegetables, or young girls? Not seen any on the shelves in the stores. Shouldn't the main part of the pic be the produce? I think we all know how to eat the stuff.

Yesterday followed a Tesco home delivery van for a while. Being the second car behind it I could only see the top half of the advertising. A picture of a young girl, 12 or thereabouts is my estimate, and a slogan, "As fresh as you'd pick yourself, or your money back".

I assume the girl is eating fruit, as vegetables don't really work in that context, but without being able to actually see whether she is eating anything, it seems a strange message. Are they selling fruit, vegetables, or young girls? Not seen any on the shelves in the stores. Shouldn't the main part of the pic be the produce? I think we all know how to eat the stuff.

Hmm... can’t be too good for the shareholders of Tesco to have a BBC like scandal after the past few scandals they’ve had [emoji6]

Car seat arrived...good news is it fits both cars and is pretty idiot proof in that it's all coloured tabs that display red or green if locked or unlocked.

Bad news would be it requires the front seat forward a bit (though not uncomfortably so) oh and despite being clip on and off there's definetly a knack to it I don't yet have..

Even after about 20 test fits didn't seem to have the knack and that's on a sunny evening without a baby in it..

20180606_172745.jpg

Nieces ford ka needs an engine.
Priced up the fitting of a FIRE engine for it.

Turns out its an Ecoboost 3 cyl.

Prices are massively higher than the comparable FIAT Twinair

You sure about this? Didn't think the ecoboost ever made its way into the old KA (assume it's the previous model given the new ones would still be warranty).

Original Ka was I think only ever available with the old 1.3 pushrod 'Valencia' engine.
New Ka was a Fiat 500 in a cheap frock, and used the Fiat 1.2 FIRE or 1.3 diesel engines.
This model now appears to be out of production, as there is no mention of it on Ford's website.
Current Ka+ was initially available with the 3cyl Ecoboost engine, but that seems to have been dropped in favour of its 4cyl naturally aspirated unit.
So the one with the dead engine is probably an early Ka+, 2014 or 2015.
The 3cyl turbo engine is highly strung, and there are a few internet posts about its problems in later life, most quite expensive.
Finding a crashed Fiesta shouldn't be too difficult, but will need to ensure they get the 100hp not the 125hp. Early Fiestas had 100 or 123 on the turbo, but my 1yr old has no markings.

Current Ka+ was initially available with the 3cyl Ecoboost engine, but that seems to have been dropped in favour of its 4cyl naturally aspirated unit.
So the one with the dead engine is probably an early Ka+, 2014 or 2015.
The 3cyl turbo engine is highly strung, and there are a few internet posts about its problems in later life, most quite expensive.

The current Ka+ was released in 2016 so my first thought would be to leave it at the dealer with the instructions "free engine please". However I believe it has a fiesta/yahama derived 1.2 vvt 4 cylinder. The older ones were as you said in your post, a mixture of FIRE, MJ and duratec/endura.

Back