What would you keep?

• Keep the Cinq

Votes: 7 24.1%
  • Keep the Marea

Votes: 9 31.0%
  • Sell both and get a diesel

Votes: 13 44.8%

• Total voters
Sorry to sound like somebody's dad, but, if you really want the job that could lead to pro. photographic qualifications and a new career you'll have to make a hard choice. I don't know what kind of photography he does but may well need several tripods that fold down but will still be quite bulky, reflectors, lights and 2 or 3 ally cases of cameras & lenses. With that in mind and the mileage, either use the Marea or flog it and if you want to stay with FIAT bite the bullet and trade up to (maybe) a Stilo SW JTD.

That way you'll have a car that will last you for another 100K miles. Don't forget though that if your Marea does 30 mpg on a run, 40ppm will give you £12 per gallon. This might sound good but you will have to have it serviced more often and if you but something newer it will depreciate more quickly than if you just knock around locally. You could also negotiate a better deal whereby he could, for instance, pay for your servicing and claim it back against his tax as he will probably be self employed and presumably you won't be. Paying you 40ppm he will be getting a hell of a deal as he won't have to pay for a car, its servicing, tax, fuel, insurance or depreciation.

What it comes down to it,do you want the job? If so it has to be either the Marea or something newer but cheaper to run.

Brava JTD in decent condition would be about £1000. Wouldn't pay much more. I sold my Marea Weekend 1.9JTD for £1500 and I think I got a good deal.

If the buyer is messing you about then keep the Marea. Use it a few times until you get a good idea of real mileage, amount of equipment etc.

I don't know what kind of photography he does but may well need several tripods that fold down but will still be quite bulky, reflectors, lights and 2 or 3 ally cases of cameras & lenses.

:yeahthat:

I bought my old Ulysse off a friend who is a professional photographer, and he replaced it with another Ulysse. Photographic equipment can be very bulky.

Well the job is in the balance at the moment. I have got the job and signed a contract today but it means I need to register as self employed and thus effectively means setting up my own buisness. However the duties and the way he is going about it means I am classed as an employer.. which could land him and myself in trouble with the inland revenue etc. Im quite tempted to ring him and tell him to stick it tomorrow.

May just go and do what he does myself. Its really not as hard as it seems...

So basically, my question is, would you keep the cinq or keep the marea? One of them has to go either way. Or would you sell both and turbo diesel instead?

realistically this job calls for a turbo diesel estate, so i would buy a turbo diesel estate if i was serious about the job and i knew it was a job i was likely to be keep for some time.

if buying the TD means you cant afford to keep the cinq and marea then you have a simple choice in my mind, sell them both or refuse the job. using the cinq or marea isnt an option imo.

i bet you could sell both and get enough money for a beauty of a marea weekend TD (or even a saloon would probably be big enough). a grand should do nicely.
for example this will go for less than a grand- http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/1997-FIAT-MAREA-WEEKEND-DIESEL-ESTATE-TD-75-SX-TAX-MOT_W0QQitemZ140198556107QQihZ004QQcategoryZ9843QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem
if you can find a lower mileage example in good condiiton with service history i'd say paying a grand is fair.

the JTD models cost more, but then they are better, in your situation you probably cant afford one, but that doesnt mean the TD isnt a good enough car for the job, you dont need the JTD.

Last edited:
This post contains affiliate links which may earn a commission at no additional cost to you.
Meh I turned down the job. Was a little hazy on exactly how it was all gonna work so decided it wasnt worth the hastle with the IR and so on.

Still need to decide what to keep... but for general use now

The Cinq - Cheap to insure and run, cheap to fix and maintain. Slow but a hell of alot of fun to throw around and really brings a smile to your face.

The Marea - Expencive to run, not bad to insure, not always cheap to fix or maintain. Amazingly fast and a good laugh to drive but makes you sad as you watch the fuel gauge drop before your eyes.

Both had advantages and disadvantages. The cinq is the one my heart goes for, the marea is the one my brain goes for. :bang:

dont be silly dave, everyone knows sexy girls dont drive, they get some mug to do it for them.

i think ryan is in jail or he won the lotto so i wouldnt expect to see him at meets.

Last edited:
Nah, he's just left FF...

party.gif

Last edited:
dont be silly dave, everyone knows sexy girls dont drive, they get some mug to do it for them.

i think ryan is in jail or he won the lotto so i wouldnt expect to see him at meets.

:O how rude.
Sexy girls do drive lol

Last edited:
Back