Technical What oil for 100HP engine?

Currently reading:
Technical What oil for 100HP engine?

I used 10w40 Magnatec in the turbo Cinquecento for 12,000 miles and had no issues. Had the sump of, head off etc., no build ups, no problems.

Also used Magnatec 10w40 for 65,000 hard driven miles in my old 1242 Cinquecento - same results, no problems.

Any factual evidence - engineers reports etc. to back it up? Genuinely interested rather than having a go as it's the stuff I always use.

One says they don't know if it was the oil as they don't know the previous history of the Alfa.

"in all honesty we cant be to sure of the cars 7 year life before we got it so may have had a bad time"

Alfa engines are renowned for using oil and will nacker the bearings if not kept topped up. There are loads of stories of fleet cars where the drivers haven't been checking and topping up leading to bearing failure - check out the Alfa forums for more details.
They can also flat spot the big end/mains if the cam belt goes, leading to premature failure.

Another states the engine was as clean as a whistle inside.

i use, and always used magentec. my previous two engines have been stripped down after i was finished with them and they are perfectly clean and well lubed inside.

all i wanted to know was what oil grade is recomended for this engine, when it comes to what brand of oil to use, everyone has their own opinion. if this is going to turn into x oil does this and x does that, can it be locked please as i already have my answer

i use, and always used magentec. my previous two engines have been stripped down after i was finished with them and they are perfectly clean and well lubed inside.

all i wanted to know was what oil grade is recomended for this engine, when it comes to what brand of oil to use, everyone has their own opinion. if this is going to turn into x oil does this and x does that, can it be locked please as i already have my answer

Quite sensible opinion, that.

I think what can be surmised from this thread is that you should use synthetic Xw40, where X is somewhere between 0 and 10.

did you get the right info in the end?

see The Sultan post in that link, that grade is from the fiat service update sheets sent to all dealers, and is more upto date than user manuals

Funnily enough I checked the oil on mine today, to discover it's about a 2/3rds full. So I guess I ought to put some in over the next week or two. Was thinking about just getting some magnatec. A fiat dealer is way too far away for me to drive over to them to buy a litre of oil.

Have used Castrol GTX 10W40 for the couple of top up's mine has needed and not had any problems. At the last service they put in some 5W40 Selenia stuff and it's only used a small amount since then.

Chris

Back