Technical What engine do I have..?

Currently reading:
Technical What engine do I have..?

Happy daze

Hello,
I recently bought a '94 Iveco 35.8, thought it was a Iveco engine but engine code doesn't match. I heard the Ducato engine could of been used.. I'm looking for a timing belt kit for it .
Thanks for any help you might have.

Attachments

• IMG_20230319_103449.jpg
    IMG_20230319_103449.jpg
    5.2 MB · Views: 132
  • IMG_20230319_103727.jpg
    IMG_20230319_103727.jpg
    3.5 MB · Views: 43
  • IMG_20230325_154118.jpg
    IMG_20230325_154118.jpg
    3.7 MB · Views: 38
Hello,
I recently bought a '94 Iveco 35.8, thought it was a Iveco engine but engine code doesn't match. I heard the Ducato engine could of been used.. I'm looking for a timing belt kit for it .
Thanks for any help you might have.
I did have several Iveco Daily's in the past including a 35.8 a 1995 I think, I see yours has a turbo , as I understood it the 35 was for 3.5 tonne gross weight and the 8 was the 80 horse power, my model was a indirect injection non turbo engine. Does it give anymore information on the Vin . plate regarding the engine.
With the age it may well have had a later engine with the turbo fitted as a modification.
It should be possible to use the 35.13 2.8 litre Direct injection 130 Hp engine which is turbo intercooled, though the most common around that time was the 35.10 2.8 (100hp) the secret is to get a pre 1998 roughly as they went to ECU after that. I had a 2.8 turbo intercooled engine from a 1997 Ducato Maxi van which was rated at 122hp, but I was able to adjust the turbo and Bosch injector pump to increase power further.
One very important note. Ducato FWD Iveco RWD, the bottom half of the engine block /bearing carrier,sump/oil pickup etc are different so not viable!!!
Re identifying your engine you are looking for a series number such as 8140.** for the 2.8 litre engines, what is written on the last two digits where I put stars the different power versions.
Re the cambelt, I am guessing the Ducato with same 2.5 litre capacity engine would use the same cam belt but the 2.8 litre I think is a longer stroke engine so belt probably different.
The number on the block is just a casting number so not a lot of help.
Can you go by the number of teeth on the belt.
By the way if you have bought it with a snapped cam belt this usually results in a bent con rod and a complete rebuild!!! The clue is when head off one piston lower by a couple of mm, along with all the bent valves etc.:(

Last edited:
Have you taken the engine number from the chassis plate as there are two numbers cast into the engine?
There are some of the MK2 daily’s with a further build information plate either behind the battery or on the nearside step (below footwell, although I’ve also found one riveted to cab rear and I only found that after stripping the plastic facia off)

Oooo well spotted…how much zoom did you have to do?
In your photos , is there any more information on the black plate to the left of the washer bottle.
I’d forgotten about that one, can’t remember what infos on that and, we’re forgetting the important source of engine info, on the V5, should give engine size and number!

Oooo well spotted…how much zoom did you have to do?

I’d forgotten about that one, can’t remember what infos on that and, we’re forgetting the important source of engine info, on the V5, should give engine size and number!
My eye sight isn't great, but I run my Linux PC on decent screens, one reason I don't have a mobile;).
On my Iveco Daily's the plate was on the front panel above the radiator generally, I can't swear re the 35.8 as it was my first and a long time ago.
I had been impressed by the separate chassis after welding up loads of rotten Transits, that I bought it at auction without listening to the engine like a beginner and yes the big end on no. 3 had gone :(.
Luckily one of my son in laws had a contact at the local minibus company, so I suddenly had a pile of dead engines to play with, it didn't put me off as after that 35.8swb, I had a 35.10mwb,35.12elwb (23ft) a 35C13 Crew cab tipper pick up and finally the most useful a 35.C13swb van (3.5 tonne gross+tow 3.5 tonne, twin wheel 130Hp and a six speed gearbox) apart from the 35.8 all the rest were 2.8 litre and as I have mentioned before an engine from a 122hp Ducato Maxi 2.8 that went in a boat. So a simple strong engine unlike the later ones in my opinion, though the 35.12elwb did have the later engine and I bought it at auction for just over a grand with receipts from the Main Dealer 30K miles earlier for £5000 on a new 2.3litre engine prior to the parcel company that owned it going bust, that one averaged 28mpg and all the others were 24mpg apart from the crewcab at 21mpg.
I used to lift the gearboxes in on my own, though at 70 I will not be doing that these days:).

My eye sight isn't great, but I run my Linux PC on decent screens, one reason I don't have a mobile;).
On my Iveco Daily's the plate was on the front panel above the radiator generally, I can't swear re the 35.8 as it was my first and a long time ago.
I had been impressed by the separate chassis after welding up loads of rotten Transits, that I bought it at auction without listening to the engine like a beginner and yes the big end on no. 3 had gone :(.
Luckily one of my son in laws had a contact at the local minibus company, so I suddenly had a pile of dead engines to play with, it didn't put me off as after that 35.8swb, I had a 35.10mwb,35.12elwb (23ft) a 35C13 Crew cab tipper pick up and finally the most useful a 35.C13swb van (3.5 tonne gross+tow 3.5 tonne, twin wheel 130Hp and a six speed gearbox) apart from the 35.8 all the rest were 2.8 litre and as I have mentioned before an engine from a 122hp Ducato Maxi 2.8 that went in a boat. So a simple strong engine unlike the later ones in my opinion, though the 35.12elwb did have the later engine and I bought it at auction for just over a grand with receipts from the Main Dealer 30K miles earlier for £5000 on a new 2.3litre engine prior to the parcel company that owned it going bust, that one averaged 28mpg and all the others were 24mpg apart from the crewcab at 21mpg.
I used to lift the gearboxes in on my own, though at 70 I will not be doing that these days:).
It used to be quite simple to get the bumper and front panel off, on most vans, and get the engine and gearbox out in one lump…now with 60 individual plastic bumper parts and trims, it takes an age just to do a bulb

It used to be quite simple to get the bumper and front panel off, on most vans, and get the engine and gearbox out in one lump…now with 60 individual plastic bumper parts and trims, it takes an age just to do a bulb
When I was an apprentice you could almost shout at a Mk1 Ford Cortina and the engine would jump out;).

When I was an apprentice you could almost shout at a Mk1 Ford Cortina and the engine would jump out;).
You mean ‘fall out’ surely
i once went out to a breakdown (managers daughter) who’d locked her baby in car mk2 cortina…easiest car to get into usually, apart from it had rusted up and release catch had fallen into bottom of door and there was no way of opening, so I just wet round to drivers side and ‘popped it’ in about two seconds…managet bought her a brand new panda bianca

Back