General What doesn't work on your Stilo in the cold?

Currently reading:
General What doesn't work on your Stilo in the cold?

Everything works on mine... it was -15 two days ago and I haven't started the car for two days. I'm not being funny with this but it's starts better when the temperature is below -10 :eek: I just turn the key and it starts. When it's around 0 degress it needs of couple of revolutions to start. I always have my door locks and door and boot seals well lubricated with some white grease and they never froze... for the little more than 3 years i've been having it... *touching wood* the engine only sounds a bit noisier in the morning and i can hear the valves.. or the thing filled with oil on top of them that contacts the shaft (don't know what that's called :( ) Is this a problem.. I can hear them only for like 5-10 seconds after i turned the engine..

Same issue with the indicator stalk, really irritating. I thought it was just me.

Also, when it's really cold and I first start the engine I can hear it trying to rev but being unable to for 1 or 2 seconds and then it finally catches some oil or something and pulls away.

Other than that, it's in mint condition, works like a dream. :)

Everything works on mine... it was -15 two days ago and I haven't started the car for two days. I'm not being funny with this but it's starts better when the temperature is below -10 :eek: I just turn the key and it starts. When it's around 0 degress it needs of couple of revolutions to start. I always have my door locks and door and boot seals well lubricated with some white grease and they never froze... for the little more than 3 years i've been having it... *touching wood* the engine only sounds a bit noisier in the morning and i can hear the valves.. or the thing filled with oil on top of them that contacts the shaft (don't know what that's called :( ) Is this a problem.. I can hear them only for like 5-10 seconds after i turned the engine..

You can hear the cams and valves, aslong as its only a short time it shouldnt be a problem, just dont rev it or put it under any strain while like that

You can hear the cams and valves, aslong as its only a short time it shouldnt be a problem, just dont rev it or put it under any strain while like that
Well it's for around ten seconds then it goes away. My explanation is that the 'hydraulic lifters' (hope you call them that) need some time to fill with oil.. but why are they filling slower and slower over time.. Anyway I never rev it during cold start and leave it for about 5 minutes or when really cold till the temp gauge needle moves..

Same issue with the indicator stalk, really irritating. I thought it was just me.

Nice to hear about someone else for me aswell. :)

Also, when it's really cold and I first start the engine I can hear it trying to rev but being unable to for 1 or 2 seconds and then it finally catches some oil or something and pulls away.

Forgot about that one. If I drive out from my "street parking" nothing actually happens if I try to pick up speed (can even floor it), when really cold, around -20C°. After a couple of seconds it gives me some soup. Propably an hidden engine health care management function in the ECU. :D

I'm not being funny with this but it's starts better when the temperature is below -10 :eek: I just turn the key and it starts. When it's around 0 degress it needs of couple of revolutions to start.

Mine is also like this. Colder weather gives faster start. When it's -10 to -20°C outside, I can almost think the car to start... Just a little touch with the key and vrooooom.

The worst temp is +5 to +10°C, when it takes several secods to start. But give it +25 to +35°C and it's a fraction of a second.

This is a very strange behaviour, but it's been like this every year.

I always have my door locks and door and boot seals well lubricated with some white grease and they never froze...

That's the only way to cure the frozen handles and locks. Industry grease. WD40 or spray will not work for long in the cold.

Had no issue with my Stilo M/W, other than doors and door handles freezing - always a bit worrying giving them a massive yank as I feel the handles might rip off, given they are only anchored at one point! In common with others my tailgate struts "failed". I work in the engineering facility of another motor company begining with "F" (not the one that makes Italian sporty jobs), so just wanted to add a comment on the tailgate struts. For the well known van, that we might call a Transit, we offer two levels of struts for those vans that will have a tailgate, depending on the final destination of the vehicle, i.e. cold or hot. The struts for cold climate markets should operate in temperatures even below -25C. So I guess that the ones that Fiat fitted on the Stilo M/W are probably ones only designated for warmer climates, no doubt as a cost saver! Coldest temerature we got in this neck of the woods was -9.6C, but my struts stopped working properly around -5.0C. :eek:

Numerous electrical failures and now engine refuses to work and Rev counter failed. Was all working fine until the cold weather arrived.

A lot didn't work for me. Everything ceased up, doors engine, coolant froze, battery died, central locking wouldn't lock the drivers doors to name
But a few

- Indicator stalk is ridiculous when cold :mad:
- Computer is beeping for ages when starting. When the car is warm enough that the screen is readable -> no errors whatsoever
- Doors won't open and/or close when temperature reaches -5C. They work fine when it goes over -15 - -20C.
- Might be the thermostat, but engine temperature won't hold at all when using the heater. Cardboard on the grille helps.

One morning before christmas I woke up and looked the temp outside. -31C Went outside to have a smoke and to put the Stilo in block heater. 2 Volkswagens already frozen, one didn't have any life and another started fine for a split second before stalling and then starting to blare the burglar alarm. Didn't have high hopes for the Fiat... 2 hours later - block heater cord off, and as it is cold enough - enter the vehicle via driver's door, turn the ignition, and presto. Started good and I can get to work.

Day before christmas eve we were going at the mother-in-law's. 350km driving in the middle of the night. As we left, temp was at -24c. Stopped at one third of the way. -28c (really). Fiat's outside thermometer is off by 1-10 degrees depending how warm the car is :mad:. Little over halfway Fiat's temp showed -22,5c and the official measuring point 3 km's away showed over -33C. By this time the clutch seemed to feel a bit stiff. As we soldiered on, fiat's outside temp showed -26C for a while. So the real temp must've been over -35C. Luckily it got a bit warmer and when we reached the destination it was only -28C again. The whole time I waited for that first splutter of freezing up or beeping as the engine breather freezes up and oil leaks all over the engine bay from god knows where.

But that ordeal was a positive surprise. No problems.

Don't know if this is related, but now it's -11C and I can't get the driver's door open. Door locks/unlocks fine, but there's no "feel" even on the inside. And if I unlock the door, the window tries to go down? The manual states that this kind of behaviour should be expected when keeping the key turned for few seconds. But my door doesn't seem to mind that the key is in my pocket. :bang:

The manual also states something about a "deadlock" function (sorry, don't have the English manual), so I suspect that that's the culprit. Anyone have any ideas?

The deadlock may be stuck on. You should always avoid pressing the lock key very fast twice as this is the command to activate the deadlock system.

This device is known to cause problems from time to time so I can only imagine how they work in the extreme cold. I've tried mine in -22 degrees C and they were fine, but I guess I am lucky.

Try disconnecting the battery for a few hours, this could reset the whole system in case it is an electrical fault.

If this doesn't work, go somewhere with at least 10 degrees celcius and try to lock/unlock it several times after letting the car get warm. Some mechanical shocks in the area might help (fists, no boots though :p ), but do this at your own risc.

You can download the english manual here, or simply go on top of the Stilo thread and click on the downloads section.

Last edited:
The deadlock may be stuck on. You should always avoid pressing the lock key very fast twice as this is the command to activate the deadlock system.

This device is known to cause problems from time to time so I can only imagine how they work in the extreme cold. I've tried mine in -22 degrees C and they were fine, but I guess I am lucky.

Try disconnecting the battery for a few hours, this could reset the whole system in case it is an electrical fault.

If this doesn't work, go somewhere with at least 10 degrees celcius and try to lock/unlock it several times after letting the car get warm. Some mechanical shocks in the area might help (fists, no boots though :p ), but do this at your own risc.

You can download the english manual here, or simply go on top of the Stilo thread and click on the downloads section.

Tried banging the door and "double-unlocking" it yesterday. And nothing.

During the night and morning the temperature got colder. It's now -22C and I tried the door few hours ago. Opened and closed great. No problems :)

You should dismantle the door to lube the locking parts as it appears they get stuck.

It would be really nasty to have a permanent locked door as it is very very hard to take out from the inside. :)

Use this guide or take it to a garage if uncertain.

Back