Technical Were failing springs covered by recall?

Currently reading:
Technical Were failing springs covered by recall?

Nello

Established member
All - I had the recall done about a year ago on the Wifes car but I've just had a spring break noted on the MoT? Did the recall cover replacing the springs....i.e. was there a recall because the springs were knowne to be faulty or was it just to stop the spring leaving the strut?

I think the recall was done to fit the tray to catch the spring in the event of a failure. Can't see them taking responsibility for the spring even though fitting the catcher is admission enough to suggest poor manufacturing. Take it in and see what they say.

I think the recall was done to fit the tray to catch the spring in the event of a failure. Can't see them taking responsibility for the spring even though fitting the catcher is admission enough to suggest poor manufacturing. Take it in and see what they say.

That's what happened to me. The spring on the driver side failed, but the recall didn't cover it. They did the recall work and out of "good will" replaced one of the springs at cost to themselves and told me to pay for the other one. They also told me to pay for the tyre that'd been damaged due to the spring snapping.

Wasn't at all happy of course as they simply said it was wear and tear, wasn't covered by the recall notice, etc :(

Same here, one of mine failed before the recall was done on my car (junc 2 of the M5 aswell).

Was told by the dealer that the recall work would be at no cost but I would have to fork out for a new tyre, bothe springs and a new disc and pads (the spring found its way down and made a nice big ravine across one of the discs).

The initial quote was £500 plus VAT, to which I told them to shove it, I called Fiat customer service who agreed to do the job and they woulsd pay for two springs. I just had to pay for 2 front discs, pads and a tyre. All told the job was done for £300 including VAT. Not sure how it was a reduction in nearly £300 when all they paid for was two springs (oh and a suspension link which wasn't on the original quote) but it helped my wallet.

Give Fiat a call and see what they say!

Back