Technical Weird Noise at speed turning right

Currently reading:
Technical Weird Noise at speed turning right

craigV

Hi everyone. So the wife and I purchased a 2014 Ducato 130 today and on the way home sitting about 50mph any slight turns to the right was accompanied with a vibration noise, much like when you drift off onto the white line on a motorway (in the uk) and you hear that terrible vibing noise. Well its kind like that. When we got it home I jacked up the passenger side where we thought the noise was originating and gave the wheel a check.. there was no play in the wheel so ruled out a worn bearing, the wheel spun ok but when the wheel spun there was like a noise where rubber was grinding. Father in law thought it could be a worn CV joint so looked there and the CV boot looks new and it sounded like the noise originated from that.. I sprayed a bit of WD40 onto the boot and spun the wheel to hear the noise had dissapeared. A test drive resulted in a great reduction of noise.

There is no loud clicking or clunking noise which makes me think it is the CV boot. Does anyone know if this is possible or could it be the wrong boot installed?

Id appreciate any feedback from you guys :)

Craig.

Unusual, but if spraying WD40 affected the noise then sounds like you are right.
I am guessing yours has a plastic CV boot, does it look like the bellows are too close together?
If so it may be possible to release the inner clip and slide the boot further along the shaft towards the gearbox a little by wriggling it and maybe some more WD40 on the shaft, the re sucureing the clip or replacing it. If that is the case , sometimes you can see rubbing marks on the bellows that have caused the noise.
Note on plastic boots a special tool is sometimes used to tighten clip properly and plastic "ties" are not good enough as they don't bite into the plastic as much as they do in rubber..
Another point , if a rubber boot, again by undoing the inner clip and sliding a blunt screwdriver between the boot and shaft you can let air in to equalise pressure so that boot is not "squashed" in.:)

Unusual, but if spraying WD40 affected the noise then sounds like you are right.
I am guessing yours has a plastic CV boot, does it look like the bellows are too close together?
If so it may be possible to release the inner clip and slide the boot further along the shaft towards the gearbox a little by wriggling it and maybe some more WD40 on the shaft, the re sucureing the clip or replacing it. If that is the case , sometimes you can see rubbing marks on the bellows that have caused the noise.
Note on plastic boots a special tool is sometimes used to tighten clip properly and plastic "ties" are not good enough as they don't bite into the plastic as much as they do in rubber..
Another point , if a rubber boot, again by undoing the inner clip and sliding a blunt screwdriver between the boot and shaft you can let air in to equalise pressure so that boot is not "squashed" in.:)
Bugsymike.. thanks for those tips I shall try them out tomorrow.

Back